2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 I want a small cam what size should I get

2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 I want a small cam what size should I get and brand

Depends on what you want really.

The low lift 212/218 comp cam is a decent small cam, won't require a stall but would really benefit from one

The 216/220 comp cam is another decent small cam, again won't require a stall but you will want one

The 220/220 is what I run in mine and I like it a lot. Some people run this with a stock converter but I don't know how. I'd highly recommend a stall and gears

The Vinci trucker cam is a nice smaller cam too. I think they are 216/224 and people seem to really like them. Most guys are running it with a stall from what I can tell

Good luck! Don't forget with a cam swap you needs valve springs and push rods. Stock springs and rods will not work with a cam. Some speed shops sell a cam swap package which comes with your choice of rod length and springs. You can check out TSP, vinci, Brian tooley, and other places for a swap package

Last edited:
I ran basically the 216/224 trucker listed above with 4.88s and a trailblazer converter with 35s. While it was a fun get up, if I could go back and do the work and spend the money over again I'd go a bit bigger on both the cam and stall. Wouldn't waste my time in a 212/218. Just my 2 cents.

I run the XR269HR 216/220 .52X/.53X 114LSA with a traiblazer converter and im happy. Shouldve gone bigger bu whatever, its a nice cam and its got good street manners.

Last edited:
Really depends on what performance and sound you are going for, but if you are just looking for any recommendation: I run a 212/218 low lift from Comp Cams with LS6 springs and a 2400 stall torque converter. With that cam/stall, headers, K&N drop-in, 3.73s, and full exhaust it puts 293hp to the dyno on 33s (tune is pretty toned down since I am selling and use it for a work truck). The cam/stall combo is perfect for a DD - its always in the power band, and still average 14mpg. Really fun setup, spins tarz, would highly recommend. I used to have 243 heads and a high octane tune...it was alot more fun.

Last edited: