2500 cluster into 1500 problems

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
so i got a 2500 gas cluster out of an 03 or 04, no stepper motors in it or bulbs. I have stepper motors and needles for it and am planning to swap LEDs in it. trying to put this in my 05 1500 LT for the trans temp and cause my rpm stepper motor appears to be on its way out. Anyway i went to plug it in to check the mileage on it, nothing comes up on the dic, none of the lights come on except CEL, and it locked up my radio. Is this swap not possible, is there something i need to do (thought it was plug and play), do i just need to hook up dem steppers and lights to make it will all work fine?

EDIT: went ahead and put the stepper motors in still no bulbs, same response from no lights on the dash, the dic displays nothing "basically", didnt give it enough time to lock up the radio though. i feel like it cant be this simple.. but could i just put the 2500 overlay on my 1500 cluster and put the stepper motor in, i looked and its got the spot for it

Last edited:
Bryan called this one lol....

As far as swapping from one to to another I don't know for sure. But I do know two things from when I had my overlay and motors done and added the trans temp guage
1. The truck will still run with no cluster in it at all. I drove mine for 2-3 days with no cluster in it at all.
2. The trans temp guage worked with no problem after never having one before. Was literally plug and play. I wasn't sure it worked at first but it took some time for the temp to register and ever since has been fine

Bryan called this one lol....

As far as swapping from one to to another I don't know for sure. But I do know two things from when I had my overlay and motors done and added the trans temp guage
1. The truck will still run with no cluster in it at all. I drove mine for 2-3 days with no cluster in it at all.
2. The trans temp guage worked with no problem after never having one before. Was literally plug and play. I wasn't sure it worked at first but it took some time for the temp to register and ever since has been fine
literally pulled it out of the box and plugged it into truck and it said fuck u, this cluster not working is not my doing

I'd just replace your current motors and add the guage and change the overlay on your current cluster tbh. If this new one came with no motors or bulbs god only knows what else it's missing or how the p/o took them all out

Do I really just have to add the stepper and swap overlays?

Sent from a secure terminal using the classified military network

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine it's much more than that. Maybe a little wiring. But I have the trans temp on my original cluster so I know it's possible

I put it in the needle moved to home when I plugged it in, dunno if it responds to temperature though, tried letting it idle in park but I know that doesn't put much temperature in it

Sent from a secure terminal using the classified military network

Yeah you have to drive it for like a good 30 mins some times before it even moves. Outside temp has a lot to do with it too. Mine hardly budges in the winter but if it's a hot day it's a lot quicker

literally pulled it out of the box and plugged it into truck and it said fuck u

:roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: