84 gmc k1500 no start

kbeve123

May 15, 2013
Hey everyone this is my first post here and im hoping you guys can help me out. I bought a 1984 gmc k1500 last summer which ran fine. I went away to school and it sat without being started so when i was finally home it would not turn over. I put the battery on a charger it would not hold a charge so i replaced the battery. I let me friend hook up the new battery which he did backwards. After this it would not crank, i checked the fuses all fine, i checked if battery voltage was getting to the starter it was so now the starter is currently jumped straight from the battery. The truck cranks now but will not fire. I checked fuel which it is getting i then grounded out a spark plug wire got nothing. I took the cap off the distributor and the rotor is turning so i checked how many volts was getting to the distributor. When cranking the volts drop to about 8, 8.5 so i jumped directly from the battery to the distributor still got the same voltage. What do you think the problem is would hooking the battery backwards go all the way back enough to screw up the ignition coil or the distributor or even fry the ecu. Is the ignition switch the problem any input would be appreciated.