99_02 vs 03-06 gmc bumper strength

louissam81

Feb 7, 2016
This is my 1st post ... and i serched and didnt find anything related to what i want to know so if i posted in wrong area or missed anothrr post sorry. ...

Here goes i want to kow which bumper is stronger the 99-02 or the 03 06 bumper it looks like the newer bumper would offer less protection in a hit then the older bumper with more metal area am i correct? Are the round fog lights in the 03 newer bumper better then the 02 fogs?

I can't offer much insight into the strength question. I can say for a fact that the 03-06 fogs have much better output than the 99-02 fogs.

I can't offer much insight into the strength question. I can say for a fact that the 03-06 bumpers look a tit ton better than the 99-02 though

I CAN tell you that the lower plastic valence and fog light brackets don't appreciate snow banks on the 03-06 models... ask me how I know :fp:

bumpers dont like other bumpers.

But seriously, if youre looking for strength you should be looking at something other than a stock bumper. A ranch hand style bumper with a thick heavy steel will hold up if you are planning on abusing it.

Dont like the factory fogs and still not sure if i would do a newer bumper swap or a TDK bumper....where i live we have alotbof a lot of snow and deer encounter deer daily in fact i dont remember a day i didnt see deer...its that bad...aafter this commonets and talking to a few friends in the body shop industry im sorta leaning to getting a tdk bumper as they are 90 min away from me and willing to install it free...

In seeing the two bumpers and whats behind them, I would say they are about equal. The 99-02 is metal but it's pretty thin....

i see deer everyday, i just hit the brakes so i dont hit them.
I would have to agree with this as I have mad it 17 years without hitting a deer and see them all the time. And half of my driving is at night