Adding OEM Fog Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlcooplx

turning wrenches
Mar 8, 2011
Myrtle Beach, SC
Well, I couldnt decide what to get my brother for Christmas, so I decided on a set of OEM fogs. His truck wasnt originally equipped with them so I wanted to find a complete kit. Turns out, GM has the entire kit: loom clips, bulbs, housing, harness, cargo lamp, relay, etc. GM part number for the kit is: 17802547 A few days before Christmas, some fool backed into his truck so it worked out perfectly b/c he decided on getting a valence with fog light holes cut out already b/c he eventually planned on doing them.

Anyways, fast forward to yesterday, we installed them. I couldn't get any photos of installing the housings under the truck as the camera couldn't fit in the small spaces where the mounting holes were:jester: The housings mount in the bumper with two bolts and nuts that clip into the bumper. It's extremely simple so I'm going to leave it at that.

Next thing we done after installing the housings was install the new switch. The new switch replaces the old cargo lamp switch inside of the truck. Simply pull off the dash, pop out the old switch, and plug in the new one. Takes all of..2 minutes?

Now to under the hood. Here's the big deal that confused us at first. The instructions that came with his kit were sketchy. They were extremely vague and were contradictory at times.

First thing first, go ahead and install the fog lamp relay into the fuse box under the hood. It's circled in green below.
fusepu9.jpg

Next, remove the corner brace that blocks your removal of the fuse box cover. 13mm IIRC
picture155hh7.jpg

After you have the brace off, remove the fuse box cover.

After you have that off, remove the fuse box from its seating. There is a clip against the drivers side fender that you pull and the fuse box will push towards the passenger side of the truck. I forgot to get a photo of this:jester: After you release the fuse box from that clip, there are two clips on its backside. Push each of them outward and you should free the fuse box.

After you have the fuse box mobile, you'll need to turn it upside down. For ease of following my directions, I flipped the fuse box backwards, as it i were pushing it towards the passenger side of the truck.

After you have it flipped over, you'll want to remove the forward lamp wiring harness from the fuse block. To do so, get a deep 7mm socket and unbolt the Green harness from the fuse box as pictured below. Note, the bolt doesn't completely remove from the green connector. After you have it backed out as far as it will go, you will have to rock the connector from side to side to get it to pull out of the fuse box.
picture149ip9.jpg

picture148eg6.jpg

After you have the connector out, you need to install the wire from the OEM fog wiring harness that you have. First, you'll need to remove the blue gate on the side of the green block. I didnt get any photos of it that I recall. It simply pops out with a flat head screw driver. it allows you to slide new wires into the block. The wire installs into the block as pictured below.
picture150fv0.jpg

After we installed the wire, we left the fuse box as-is so we could go ahead and install the rest of the harness to make sure they worked before we put it all back together.
picture153rn4.jpg

We ran the harness right below the fan shroud following another OEM loom. We used the provided clips with the kit to hook fog light loom to the OEM loom so it would stay out of the way.

Of course, plug the harness into the fog lights. Let me say this: this photo was taken before I routed the harness. Make sure you route it back above the lights and around the other loom. You'd hate not to do so and end up snagging your wiring on something:imo
picture151pt6.jpg

As for a ground... I couldn't decide exactly where I wanted to ground the harness because the ring terminal attached to it was small and there weren't any small bolts and I didn't feel like drilling any holes. I finally decided for it to be out of the way, I'd ground it to the OEM horn mount behind the passenger side headlight. I got some sandpaper and sanded around the hole that the bolt mounted into. Worked fine and was easy to access from under the truck.
picture152cl5.jpg

After that, I tested it out and it worked fine, so I bolted everything back up. Apparently the 03+ trucks DO NOT have to have the BCM reflashed for the fog lights to work:pepper: Here's a photo of the fuse box after the install.

picture154hj0.jpg

Here's before:
Picture004-1.jpg

And after:
picture156py5.jpg

picture158wd8.jpg

Maybe this will help someone? Who knows:jester:

Status
Not open for further replies.