Converting kp bushed bar ends to heims

FTC

Just a dumb welder
Dec 18, 2012
Hawaii
So since installing, I've been tearing up bushings every couple of months. I never hit sides. So I went ahead and changed out the bar ends to heims, for a little bit of articulation. I can't do the uppers just yet, because to set pinion I had to extend them more threads than a regular heim has. Eventually I'll make the upper bars longer by about 1" to take up the slack. For now it should do since I've only had to replace the lower bushings thus far.

ff808befd712f1fbafc4d006c296ab8b.jpg

I'm wondering if I should flip the bar around, being I suspect the axle side articulates much more than the frame side does? Any thoughts?

What's the mounting width and bolt hole size of those brackets? There might be better options than an exposed/raw rod end for street use.

out of curiosity, are you running a panhard bar or a watts link?

I'm actually running a watts, and there's nearly no side to side axle movement through the travel. There was one incident where an accuair sensor failed and dumped all the air in the LR corner, thus tearing up that bushing.

I did look into Johnny joint options, but the bushing width is not the standard 2", it's 1.75". So I ended up shaving down the misalignments 1/8" to fit the brackets. The pre made Johnny ends don't have an exact match, I'd either have to make my own end or drill the bolt hole to 5/8". Which I think would be a bitch with the bracket still mounted.