Detailing on the cheap

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Just thought I'd make a thread for those of us that aren't hardcore about our stock paint/don't have the time to devote to hardcore detailing/don't want to spend huge money on top of the line shit. My truck's got the stock paint from 05, I take it in the mud, offroad, it sits outside at home and at school, we have acid rain like hell down here not to mention hard water to wash with. So I don't waste too much money on something that's not ever gonna look show quality. Once I'm done, she looks damn good tho.

Materials I use:
$30 10" parts store buffer
Meguiers Ultimate Compound
Meguiers Polish
Meguiers Cleaner Wax (not carnuba because that seems to make water spots worse in my experience)
Krylon Fusion satin black
Meguiers chrome polish
whatever tire shine you prefer

Here's how the paint looked to start with. Absolutely terrible, scratches, swirls, and water spots like hell. I haven't done a detail since last June. And only washed it like 3 times, just been busy.
SB12007.jpg

SB12008.jpg

The roof and hood were the worst but I buffed the whole truck. I washed it wish some RainX carwash (the blue stuff with little beads in it in a clear bottle). Then I let it dry and pulled it in the shade. I then worked a small area at a time laying the compound onto the paint and smearing it around with the buffer. This cheapy buffer's only got one speed so smear it good to avoid slinging it everywhere. Also be careful of the edges so you don't burn through. Then I just worked it slowly, wiping it off with a microfiber cloth and using one more clean one to really get it off. I had to do the hood and roof twice.

Here's the results:
SB12010.jpg

SB12013.jpg

I also did the tail lights. I used to have smoked tails and in doing so, I used a red scotchbrite pad to scuff them so when I stripped it off they looked like ass.
SB12014.jpg

SB12016.jpg

Just put plenty of compound on them, and buffed the hell out of them. Again, being careful around the edges. The came out looking new
SB12020.jpg

SB12018.jpg

Afterward I used the polish on the buffer with a wool pad. Used two microfibers to clean it off. One to get it off initially and one more to really get it off. Then just 2 coats of wax applied by hand and removed with microfibers.

I also buffed the headlights and corners too because they were sandblasted to hell from highway driving. Same process as tails. Afterwards, I began taping off all the chrome/paint/etc near the black plastics so I could repaint them.

Faded flares looking aweful
SB12022.jpg

Just make sure to tape off ALL around the areas to avoid over spray. Good rule of thumb for me is a foot to foot and a half all around the areas to be painted.
SB12028.jpg

I also painted the frame using duplicolor satin black and duplicolor bedline in the rear wheel wells. Also high heat brake paint on the drums/calipers
phone643-1.jpg

And the final results. Nice and shiny and black
truckpics009.jpg

truckpics013.jpg

truckpics005.jpg

Hope this helps show you don't have to spend a bunch of money to make your truck look good. Just a few days of elbow grease and paint :trolldance2:

**forgot to add, be very liberal with the compound, polish, and wax. There's no such thing as too much (well until you start slinging it errwhere).

Last edited:
Reactions: SMiGGs
Thanks guys. The way I figure it, I'm not gonna waste my money on Adam's stuff when I've just got old, worn factory paint. Adam's makes amazing stuff so if I ever have a custom paintjob, I'll def use their stuff but it's not worth it for my DD :imo:

nice job. I have Adams stuff I've never used cause of deep scratches and dents. hoping to get it painted soon and maybe I can start using the stuff

what did you use with the compound on the buffer? A wool pad?

Yep, just another wool pad

I wish I had before pics of my Ferd. Pretty much used this same method for the paint and a night and day difference.

Yeah, my truck was aweful. But I'm in college, so I can't afford all the top of the line stuff. Since all you hear about is Adams on these forums, I figured I'd show that you can still get good results with Mequiers from Wally World. But obviously, it's still worlds below an Adams finish

Yep, just another wool pad

Yeah, my truck was aweful. But I'm in college, so I can't afford all the top of the line stuff. Since all you hear about is Adams on these forums, I figured I'd show that you can still get good results with Mequiers from Wally World. But obviously, it's still worlds below an Adams finish

Check the product and equipment thread. i as well as bgray posted some products that would be more economically priced, besides my swissvax. most of our product is in bigger containers so price equals out pretty well.

Definitely some nice, work. I wish i had the balls to do it on black paint!