Fml

Well......

Oil looked good and smelled good and the coolant was low so I filled it up. Turned the key on, no check-engine light. So I fired her up.....

Ran like she was fresh off the production line. Let here idle for about 10 mins with no problems. Went and got a new radiator, installed it, then took off for home. Got about a mile and it over heated. Engine was still relatively cool but coolant was boiling and spewing out of the overflow. Took her back to the shop. So tomorrow she is getting a new thermostat, water pump, and oil change.

Thanking my lucky stars that nothing happened. Guess it either shut off to save itself or it cut off right before catastrophe.

Still don't know what that loud rattle/click/tick sound was. I've never heard a water pump tear up so maybe that was it?

Thanks for all opinions and ideas.

And the gauge never showed a temp spike when I ran it this morning. As soon as I saw steam in the cab, I checked the gauges. Everything was good. It went high right after it shut itself off. The gauge was acting retarded tonight as well. Would read sky-high hot then I'd shut it off for 30 seconds, then itd show medium temp. Fucking Toyotas.

I would assume either your gauge or your sending unit is bad. Glad she at least runs, hopefully a few new parts and she'll be good to go for a while

The noise is what scares me. It sounded like an exhaust leak multiplied by a hundred. When I pressed the pedal down more, it got louder. It did it for about 10 seconds before it died. But nothing sounds irregular now. Idles and runs perfect (except for the whole overheating thing).

I'm gonna explain it all to our mechanic and hopefully he can fix it all. Boss man says he's gonna "get her running right" so I'm gonna explain every little detail. Would love to get everything in the coolant system replaced so I don't have to worry about it.

I'm just thankful it runs. Now I just wanna get it all straight so I can sell it in a few weeks. My brother who has had probably 10 Toyotas told me, "once they run hot, they'll never run the same".

Last edited:
Sounds like a head gasket but first and foremost

You should've never let it get that far and your boss is an idiot for telling you to drive it while it was hot.

So you think once the motor gets up to operating temp that I'll have a head gasket leak? Should i just go ahead replace the gasket as a precaution? Its only been driven a mile so it really hasn't been tested thoroughly. Just glad it runs

Mechanics drained my coolant, refilled it. Drove it for 30 mins on the interstate. No problems. No milky motor oil. No steam out the exhaust. No bubbles in coolant.

Said there may have been an air pocket blocking the cooling system.

Gonna take her easy for the next few days but I think I dodged a pretty big bullet; fingers crossed.

just tossing caution to the wind, u may have dodged a bullet for now but you def have put some serious wear and tear on the internals letting it get that hott. I'd be saving my pennies if I where you just in case.

That's the plan. This kinda opened my eyes as to what could happen later on. And I don't have $3k laying around for a new motor.