Fml

It happened because you're on a gm forum and don't own a gm :read:

Technically I own a 04 Z71. Dad took over the truck and payments when his truck shit the bed and I wanted a Toyota the last time. That transition went smooth. Best truck I ever owned. This transition has been a fuckfest.

Like ginger said, oil was hot enough that you might as well of ran water. Get super thin, super hot and if it didn't seize the crank bearings to the crank or spun a rod bearing or even seized everything together, it'll be a miracle.

I've been having good luck lately, I'm due for a catastrophe.

Major fix. I've talked to 5 auto expert friends and the outlook is grim.

Everyone says its the head gasket until I tell them about the sound. Then they pause and tell me I'm fucked.

I didn't say that y'all didn't know anything. Just trying to compile all my resources and other's opinions on the topic so the best diagnosis can be made without anybody seeing the motor yet. At 5:05 pm, I get off work and I will go record visual observations and post pics if there's any sizeable damage.

bigboi, I will add you to the FB page Sloppy Mechanics if I find you, and you will get a better idea, those guys grab motors from the junkyard in the hundreds...one guy literally bought 10+ and drug them off on a trailer, for racing. He tosses one in, runs it, and when it shits the bed, he tosses in another.

Can I get an admin to close this thread? Welsh and Ginger have commented, so all questions and concerns have been answered with their combined 2 responses out of the 33 posts.

Wouldn't the parts needed for a LS swap (trans, rear end, fuel system, misc parts) be just as expensive as the 3.4 long block?

And Jared, I need quality, not quantity haha. But yes, show me the page so I get an idea.

Last edited:
Think of it this way, let's say you spend the same amount, but you are rebuilding basically the entire drivetrain...if something happens later on, it is easier and cheaper the next time. You can get a tranny for around $750...5.3 for $750, we are talking high side! So you are at $1500. Fuel system, you will need to make changes, but not replace the entire thing. Probably just a better fuel pump. Rear end...?

Test drive time. - LS1TECH

It will be more work, but I bet you could do it for a bit less, have a better power plant, and bragging rights. That is, if you have the downtime.

Downtime is a big factor in everything.

But I've been tossing around the idea within the last few hours of getting a beater. Then downtime wouldn't be a problem. Also I could do the 5.3 idea and rip out all the 4wd shit. Then I'd have my slammed 2wd like I want.

But I'm still a good ways out from planning anything. Still don't know what damage I caused internally.

Even if you rip the 4wd stuff out, you're not getting that low with the frame currently on the truck.

At least my 6 cylinder is still running.

:haha:

Ouch...

Sucks man, some days you're the dog shit, some days you're the shoe.
If you hope for the worst, anything less will be good news.
But the one question I had was, didn't you notice the temp rising?