Hertz Component Mounting Ideas

silvr z

Mar 18, 2013
Hey guys, just picked up my first set of components.

The old style hertz energy 6.5s. (Close out deal)

amegade9.jpg

I'm thinking about mounting everything behind the speaker grill.

3emybe8u.jpg

Any thoughts on that? The crossover is much smaller and pretty looking than that picture. Same with the tweeter too.

Do the Hertz have a flush mount tweeter? I never would mount my tweeter likw that one above.

Take out the OEM tweeter and drill out to flush mount the aftermarket one. Mount the mid bass with a MDF spacer and cut out the panel hole if needed. HIDE the crossover on the BACK of the door panel or inside the dash near the wire grommets. Better to hide behind the panel so you only need one run of wire per door. Also invest in atleast a few feet of sound deadener and atleast deaden around the mid in the door too keep from the shit sounds.

Installed many sets this way before and love how compenents sound on some power mounted like that. I'd rather mount the tweets higher but do what your abilities will let you.

make a template that imitates the original tweeter design. the orientation of that original hole makes it difficult to correctly mount it. i personally dont like the crossover where it is but to each his own

still have them at closeout?

Local shop had these. They were the last ones there. $205 out the door.

Do the Hertz have a flush mount tweeter? I never would mount my tweeter likw that one above.

Take out the OEM tweeter and drill out to flush mount the aftermarket one. Mount the mid bass with a MDF spacer and cut out the panel hole if needed. HIDE the crossover on the BACK of the door panel or inside the dash near the wire grommets. Better to hide behind the panel so you only need one run of wire per door. Also invest in atleast a few feet of sound deadener and atleast deaden around the mid in the door too keep from the shit sounds.

Installed many sets this way before and love how compenents sound on some power mounted like that. I'd rather mount the tweets higher but do what your abilities will let you.

I am flush mounting the tweeters for sure, but no, they aren't flush mounts.

I'm fully deadened already, outer skin covered and sealed off the inner door.

I kinda liked the looks of the crossover in the grill, but I may change my mind.

Will the midrange need to be spaced out? Is that just for looks? I'm still planning on running the grill unless I went with a mdf baffle replacing the grill.

I would move the tweeters up to the pillar but I don't think It would look very good unless I glassed them and I don't have those skills yet.

make a template that imitates the original tweeter design. the orientation of that original hole makes it difficult to correctly mount it. i personally dont like the crossover where it is but to each his own

A template of the original is a great idea, I didn't think it would be much of a problem there. Thanks for the heads up.

I am flush mounting the tweeters for sure, but no, they aren't flush mounts.

I'm fully deadened already, outer skin covered and sealed off the inner door.

I kinda liked the looks of the crossover in the grill, but I may change my mind.

Will the midrange need to be spaced out? Is that just for looks? I'm still planning on running the grill unless I went with a mdf baffle replacing the grill.

I would move the tweeters up to the pillar but I don't think It would look very good unless I glassed them and I don't have those skills yet.

Most midbass drivers will hit the inners of the door which can cause distortion, scratching/breaking of windows, and pulling and breaking of wires. You wouldn't see the spacer, it would be screwed to the door just spacing the magnet from the inners of the door

Need to see what you need honestly. But I'd do a 3/4" or a 1" and cut the hole on the door panel slightly bigger so you can see the speaker a little more/better

Sorry shitty pics are shitty but you can see how I mounted mine, unhooked factory tweeter in A pillar
picture.php

Front door
picture.php

Back door

Maybe I will try and mount them up in the pillar, I just don't know how well they will mount up there depth-wise. I don't want a tweeter pod sticking out.

It just seems like a ton of work to move them up there, not sure if it is worth it.

Just found an episode of amplified that they put this set in a silverado.

6anyju5a.jpg

Here is a picture of their tweeter mount. I will probably replicate it with a piece of aluminum or steel so I can return to stock some day. But it turns out they are flush mounts.

Just found an episode of amplified that they put this set in a silverado.

6anyju5a.jpg

Here is a picture of their tweeter mount. I will probably replicate it with a piece of aluminum or steel so I can return to stock some day. But it turns out they are flush mounts.

Exactly

Go ahead and use metal. Then spend forever trying to figure out why your tweeters are making a buzzing sound.

Vibrations

Sent from my Stealth Lookin iPhone using Tapaturd

Go ahead and use metal. Then spend forever trying to figure out why your tweeters are making a buzzing sound.

Vibrations

Sent from my Stealth Lookin iPhone using Tapaturd

Ahhh....never thought of that. I'll see what I have in the garage. I will probably have to go pick up some 1/4 inch mdf.

I never updated this, but here is a picture of them in the doors. They sounds great for an un-amped passive setup. But definitely wanting more power.

aju5azap.jpg