I think my transmission just went out

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
Left work tonight, got in the truck it drove fine for a few block then I heard an awful clnag/bang/thud sound from under the truck as I started to accelerate. Then the truck stopped moving, transmission acted like it was in neutral when it was actually in drive. I put it in 3rd gear, and the same thing. I put it in 2nd gear and I got the truck to move. I limped it home in 2nd gear , but if it shifted or when I slowed down to stop I kept hearing a clunking/banging sound. I was thinking the gears in my rear end were stripped out or something. I have no clue what the fuck it is or where to start. I'm guessing its either the transmission or the rear end, or both. Shreveport guys, do you know of any reputable shops in Shreveport I should take it to?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it would be your rearend if it moves in second and not third. I took mine to stonewall transmission, that was about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem yet

Didn't you just have your rear end rebuilt recently? Within the last year or so? I vaguely remember a thread of yours about it. Sounds like tranny imo. My dad's obs Suburban acted the same way when his went.

Didn't you just have your rear end rebuilt recently? Within the last year or so? I vaguely remember a thread of yours about it. Sounds like tranny imo. My dad's obs Suburban acted the same way when his went.

I might have mentioned having it rebuilt, it was rebuilt at a Chevy dealership in January of 2009 right before my extended warranty ran out. I've put about 35-40k miles on it since then.

I wouldn't think it would be your rearend if it moves in second and not third. I took mine to stonewall transmission, that was about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem yet

Did you have any "performance" work done to it? And do remember about how much they charged you? Did they R&R, or did you install it yourself?

I might have mentioned having it rebuilt, it was rebuilt at a Chevy dealership in January of 2009 right before my extended warranty ran out. I've put about 35-40k miles on it since then.

Ah I see, thought it was more recent than that.

I already dropped it off at Stonewall Transmission. They will call me tomorrow and let me know what the damage is.

Damn, at least you were able to get home. My tranny detonated in 08 or so when i was at the beach, 300 miles or so away from my tranny builder. AAA waslike oh, gonna be 1300 to get it back to bako. Friend towed it for 400. My tranny builder did mine for 1800 cash, but its all performance parts, except for the torque converter, didnt need anything other than stock yet. Going 4 years strong, shifts very nicely

Scott i can get crate trans from gm dealer for 1650....+ your core back
Got a mean builder who will build remove/install in 2 days for 1250

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Mosely's recommended Wholesale Transmission to me on Old Minden Rd...went in to talk to him about my popping noise from my rear, seemed like a nice guy

And it sounds like your g80 grenaded

with it driving in lower gears and not it higher ones it sounds more like a sunshell to me, thats exactly what happened to my parents 99 OBS burb with a 4L60E and I had a vouple people come in at the dealer same systoms same problem so I would say it was the sunshell

If it was the sunshell, would it make an awful noise like I was dragging something on the ground underneath my truck? Cuz thats kinda what it sounded like when it kept doing the banging/clanging sounds.

Scott i can get crate trans from gm dealer for 1650....+ your core back
Got a mean builder who will build remove/install in 2 days for 1250

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

That would be good if ....
1. I lived near you
2. I knew how to remove and re-install a transmission myself
3. Your mean builder would drive up here and do it. Otherwise, the costs I would incur towing my truck down there would offset the money I would save versus having a local builder do it.

I drove it in 2nd gear all the way to Stonewall (about a 30 min drive) with my hazards on the whole time to drop it off at Stonewall transmission. I looked them up, they have a A+ BBB rating, and several positive reviews posted on google as well. One of those positive reviews just happened to be a guy I know (friend of mine's brother in law) who had his Tahoe done there almost 2 years ago. Hopefully they will take care of me. I should get a call sometime tomorrow to let me know what the verdict is. They guy kept saying over and over that these transmissions are famous for solenoids going bad that can be replaced by simply pulling the pan. I told him by the noises I heard, that I am thinking it definitely has internal damage. He said worse case scenario is a complete overhaul which would be around $1700. I don't exactly have that kind of money laying around right now, so if anybody needs any NBS LED work done holla at me. I know how to replace 03-06 stepper motors as well, so please spread the word.