Knocking ID!

DirtyRed

Nov 30, 2013
Hey all new here. I currently have a 04 silverado 2500HD 6.0 4x4. 140k miles.
I recently did a major tuneup all fluids belt coolant etc. I decided to do a seafoam clean. I put half a bottle in my oil and the other half in the fuel tank. My wife drove around that day for about 150 miles. When I got home from work I decided to start on my maintenance. I did my oil change (Amsol 10w-30) got in and a started it, oil pressure at 60psi. When I got out I heard a knock which sounds like it's coming from the bottom in. I took it to 2 different mechanic, one swears it's a lifter, the other swears it's a connecting rod. Currently have 5 quarts of oil and 1 quart of ATF fluid in hopes of a clogged lifter. I pulled each coil plug individually to see if I could find the cylinder knocking but the noise never changed. I've also tried running seafoam in the PCV vacuum line with no reduction in noise. If anybody could try and point me in the right direction or have any tips to help find out where the noises coming from it would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel like ripping apart the wrong side of the motor.

Here she is
jezabada.jpg

Here is the video of the noise.
04 silverado knocking - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

X2 on rod knock, especially if the truck's hot in that video. If it was cold, I might say it's just bad piston slap but I'm thinking rod knock

Not sure if it was too much but it did some type of job!
The bumper is huge. It's a nice conversation starter.

Well took it to the dealer. Fixed now. Was number 3 piston rod bearings. They are claiming the seafoam kept the bearings dry and driving it caused the bearing to wear out. Had all the bearings replaced. They said the crank was good. With STD size bearing I was at .002 clearance so there was no need to turn the cranks or trim out the rods. Last time I'll ever use seafoam!!! Dealer recommend to do the 1qt of ATF in oil if you wanna do any type of engine clean. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Well took it to the dealer. Fixed now. Was number 3 piston rod bearings. They are claiming the seafoam kept the bearings dry and driving it caused the bearing to wear out. Had all the bearings replaced. They said the crank was good. With STD size bearing I was at .002 clearance so there was no need to turn the cranks or trim out the rods. Last time I'll ever use seafoam!!! Dealer recommend to do the 1qt of ATF in oil if you wanna do any type of engine clean. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Even that sounds sketchy :scared:

Wasn't that a lot of seafoam to use at one time?

Nope. When I did mine I did 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in tank, and 1/3 sucked in through the brake booster vacuum line. I only ran it til everything burned off, MAYBE 5-6 miles with the motor hot.

Glad you got it fixed and it wasn't anything too bad.