NBS Exterior Door Handle Removal

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
I just got my escalade handles back from the body shop and I was wondering if there is an online tutorial that shows how to replace them?

IIRC there is a cap that needs to be removed to access one of the bolts but I have no idea how to get to the other bolt, or to connect the handle to the mechanism that opens the door.

Any help would be awesome! These textured handles got to go! They get uglier every time I have to see them.

Thanks
J.

It's not really difficult. Especially if you already know how to remove the door panel.

Once that's off you pull the round cover/plug to access the left nut, and the other 1 or 2 can be reached by pulling the plastic back on the door and reaching up there.

A socket works great for the plug but for the other ones I'd use a ratcheting box wrench or an old school box.

Once the bolts are loose there is two plastic snaps that hook onto the lock mechanism and door latch pull. You just pop them off and put then back the same way on the new handle,then tighten the bolts back up and you are done.

It really isn't that hard and iirc 1a auto has a video o. YouTube if you really get stuck

Awesome... Thanks!

I try to avoid that site at all cost.

No need to go there now.

UPDATE: When I changed internet providers the original photos were lost.
I reenacted the install and took the photos when I replaced the OEM door speakers...
a how to sticky ain't worth much without photos IMO.

For those that haven't done there handles or removed the door panel...

Nothing to it... about 30min for each side.

This is for the models without power windows or locks but most info is the same
except for unplugging the window and lock electrical plugs.

Basic tools needed: GM window handle clip removing tool, 10mm & 7mm socket,
10mm wrench, flat screwdriver.

Handle1.jpg

After you remove the window handle just push the clip back on and the handle is ready to pop back on and you won't loose the clip.

Panel1.jpg

There are three 7mm screws, one under the lock, grab handle and lower bottom of panel.

Pry off the mirror access panel

Now the door panel is ready to remove. JUST LIFT UP TO REMOVE don't pry out like older cars or you'll brake off the plastic retaining hooks.

Panel2.jpg

There are two access holes for two of three 10mm handle bolts.

Handle2.jpg

Reach inside the panel with a 10mm wrench to remove the 3rd bolt

Handle3.jpg

Handle4.jpg

Handle5.jpg

Handle6.jpg

Handle7.jpg

Handle8.jpg

Now just reverse the same steps to finish up and don't forget the
lock cylinder clip and test the lock before you replace the interior panel...
and be sure to clock the interiors window handle in the same position as the other side (2:00 clock)

I've removed my passenger one. Pretty simple, and reinstallation would be easy too.

You just unhook it from each little plastic tab and remove it. Reverse for install.

I had bought two keyhole handles and the truck only had one key hole oem. Matt had an extra cylinder so I had it rekeyed to match my key and there's no lock rod :fp: so it's just a dummy cylinder

Bc I kinda thought like most of gm,the rod would be in there and just not attached to anything.