Obs lift suggestions

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Alright guys I have always wanted a lift but never knew what kind to get and im thinkin about the cepek 6.5 lift and a 3 inch BL. The only thing is is i have no idea what all id need to upgrade as far as gears, rear end, differential, driveshaft, etc. on the cepek lift i know theres a series 1 and a series 2 and i know the difference is series 2 has the fully adjustable x member with heim ends to lock in the front and rear crossmembers.

i found a couple different sites to get the cepek but i have some other questions

what gears should i run?
do i need to get a new rearend? if so what should i get?
do i need a longer or more durable differential?
longer driveshaft?

one site lists a autotrac driveshaft would i need that?
do i need the front double shock kit?
same site lists rear lift option with options being 5" block, 4" block add a leaf, or 5" block add a leaf?
do i need a steering stabilizer?

What type of bodylift do yall recommend?

anyone recommend a different lift kit?

i think im gonna end it with a dumb question...
is there a kit that includes exactly everything i need? (driveshaft, differential etc)

heres a site i found

Dick Cepek Chevy GMC Suspension Lift Kits

well shit one site is out of stock this site, i tried the buy now and it didnt add it said cannot add this to cart so shit

guess im looking for somewhere to get a lift or what lift and extras to get

maybe skyjacker or rcx or rough country? or?

Last edited:
lots of people buy the RCX kit. Good kit. the 4 and 6 are same kit. Just with an AAL. so buy the 6. Your angles wont be amazing with the 6" although because same parts as the 4".

dont know, but I always heard RCD was great on FSC when I was looking for lifts with my OBS. DCII never had complaints, and a few had BDS. RCX has great reviews too, most dont have complaints.

I think for the money I would run RCD or DCII (are they still making them?)

lots of people buy the RCX kit. Good kit. the 4 and 6 are same kit. Just with an AAL. so buy the 6. Your angles wont be amazing with the 6" although because same parts as the 4".

is there anything to do to get the angles back?

any thoughts on skyjacker lifts?

correct me if im wrong but leaf springs give a better ride then just the regular lifting blocks right?

dont know, but I always heard RCD was great on FSC when I was looking for lifts with my OBS. DCII never had complaints, and a few had BDS. RCX has great reviews too, most dont have complaints.

I think for the money I would run RCD or DCII (are they still making them?)

idk if they r making the dcII lifts bc the two sites i was at one said out of stock the other wouldnt even add it to the cart and i read a few results from google search that they aren't making them anymore

See my responses below Chris.

what gears should i run?
Depends on your tire size choice. For 33s, personally, I would run 3.73s or 4.10s, for 35s, 4.56s or 4.88s.
do i need to get a new rearend? if so what should i get?
If you have an open rear end, it would be beneficial. Alot of people use Detroit TruTracs with success. Check out Ron's Machining Service for parts here.
do i need a longer or more durable differential?
You will not need to make any changes to your stock differential.
longer driveshaft?
Your stock driveshaft will be fine, the only trucks that need to swap are Tahoes/Suburbans with Autotrac transfer cases.
one site lists a autotrac driveshaft would i need that?
See above.
do i need the front double shock kit?
You don't NEED it, but some like to add it, mostly for looks.
same site lists rear lift option with options being 5" block, 4" block add a leaf, or 5" block add a leaf?
There are quite a few ways to go about lifting the rear. Some like blocks, some like blocks and add-a-leafs, some like shackle flips. It's all preference. Add-a-leafs do tend to make the ride a little stiffer though, if you do get them you may want to upgrade to a better shock than what the kit offers.
do i need a steering stabilizer?
Not a necessity but helps especially with larger tires, they're pretty cheap too.
What type of bodylift do yall recommend?
I'd go with Performance Accessories although I would not get a 3" out of personal preference. I'd snag a 2". Make sure the kit you get comes with both sets of bumper relocation brackets, some kits only come with the front. Bumpers look terrible when not relocated properly.
anyone recommend a different lift kit?
Since you want a 6+3, maybe look into a 9.5" FTS or 10" Cognito kit, though the Cognito kit may be hard to find.

Last edited:
See my responses below Chris.

wow! thanks alot that really helps man! when a lift comes with the add a leafs is it necessary to actually use them or are they a "extra" item to use for your own preference?

and if i did get the 6inch suspension and 2 inch or so BL what size tire would be recommended to run? as far as no rubbing and give me the wider looking stance?

i need to get a steering stabilizer kit me thinks.

is there any difference with the steering that would cause for the need of one?
correct me if im wrong but i've heard that sometimes lifted trucks have a little "play" in the steering would that be a concern as to needing the stabilizer?

Last edited:
If the lift comes with add-a-leafs, it is definitely their intention that you install them. It won't hurt anything if you don't but you may have a bit of Cali lean (front end higher than the rear) if you don't use them. With that combination lift I would personally run 35s on some 20x10 wheels. Would look awesome!

If the lift comes with add-a-leafs, it is definitely their intention that you install them. It won't hurt anything if you don't but you may have a bit of Cali lean (front end higher than the rear) if you don't use them. With that combination lift I would personally run 35s on some 20x10 wheels. Would look awesome!

thanks bro i definitely wanna get a lift and make the obs look good! with 35s and 20x10s, would that give me to look of big rims and smaller tires like this
ugly.jpg

i dont like that look at all with lifted trucks with low pro tires looks ugly imo.

Those you posted look like 22x14 diesels with 35" Iroks. 35s on 20x10s looks more like this:

IMAG1451.jpg

If that is still too much wheel, step down to an 18" or 17" wheel.

Last edited:
Those you posted look like 22x14 diesels with 35" Iroks. 35s on 20x10s looks more like this:

IMAG1451.jpg

i like that but the only thing i am worried about is the ride being more worse bc with more tire itd absorb more but if i have less then its gonna ride rougher

thanks bro i definitely wanna get a lift and make the obs look good! with 35s and 20x10s, would that give me to look of big rims and smaller tires like this
ugly.jpg

i dont like that look at all with lifted trucks with low pro tires looks ugly imo.

Exact setup I want for my 88 when its done

IMAG1451.jpg

still 7.5" of tire, thats about the same as my 04 with 265/70R17s