Rear Axle hop.

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
I know iv posted this awhile back on GMFS, but its still unsolved and I have not found the culprit.

Right now My rear set up is flip, shackles, 3" blocks, helper bags.
The blocks are to much and will be swapping them for 1inch blocks but for now they are on.
Rear end is true trac with 3:73s

From a dead stop if I get on it (i have no Torque Management) it breaks them loose then wheel hops really bad. Like if it continues it will break the rear end or tranny.
With the flip and shackles it did it to, but i just added the blocks and now its outrageous.

IDEAS:
-My shocks in the rear are completely shot but still cant come to imagine that it would cause this.
-helper bags have a clamp that clamp the overload leaf to the rest of the pack but its only clamping the back maybe throwing it off?
-pinion angle is bad.... but I don't get any vibrations

Im open to any ideas and suggestions im lost at this point. This is my first priority to get fixed before anything else.
Yes i will be getting new shocks, just not sure how low i want to keep it yet to order some.

Cal-Trac or traction bars will be your best bet by far. I would replace the shocks anyway, cause that will help some too.

I think all the crew cabs do that. Mine does it with just a shackle drop. Even with Bilsteins

Pretty much all NBS trucks do, everyone that ive own, dad, or friends have owned have had bad wheelhop issues.

Caltracs solved all my issues, and they make them for flip kit applications.

Will look into after school
Money is short
But it really needs to get taken care of
Now that yall say all nbs do it my other buddies does it but I think it's only if you have a locking a rear
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on the classifieds on pt.net, sometimes there's a caltrac setup in there up for grabs, that'll save you some $$

My thoughts

1. Yes bad shocks can make the wheelhop seem even worse, good shocks won't "fix" the issue but it can help better control it. They will still allow it to wrap, but not hop as violently.
2. You mentioned the overload is clamped to the pack in the rear, clamp the front of the overload to the pack, this helps a ton to reduce wheel hop. It completely eliminated it on my Duramax. It's not a replacement for traction bars or caltracs, but it is effective for what it is. Of course keep in mind it lowered me ~0.75" more and made the ride slightly stiffer.
3. Save up for a set of caltracs.

just talked to the guys at calvert racing.
alot of these trucks have this problem. Its no so much wheel hop its also alot with the leafs wrapping up, axle wanting to rotate, and move left and right.
He said the cal-tracs would eliminate that, then I would need a shocks to keep the up/down motion under control. He said something about to special shocks with different valve timings or some shit but i dont remember.
He said the blocks are making it worse because its giving it more leverage basically to make the axle want to rotate backwards.

Wheel hop and axle wrap are the same thing. Twisting force on the leafs creating the up and down motion.

Everything caltrac said was true....get tracs...get new shocks. Do burnouts

Wheel hop and axle wrap are the same thing. Twisting force on the leafs creating the up and down motion.

Everything caltrac said was true....get tracs...get new shocks. Do burnouts

Wheel hop and axle wrap are not the same thing. Axle wrap may cause wheel hop, but you can definitely have wrap without having wheel hop. Excessive axle wrap can cause just as much trouble from bent or broken leaf springs, bent shocks, etc but is not nearly as violently felt as wheel hop.

All I know is that's how I broke my g80
Then I rebuilt using true trac and Richmond 3:73s
Heard a noise pull the plate in missing 3 teeth off the ring I'm willing to bet it was from wheel hop
This is all within 5000 miles
Now I'm running a used set of oem 3:73s and I don't want to break these
And before I get called a kid and burning tires bc I'm 18 I can't even shoot a gap between cars
I can't slowly get on the gas until full throttle
I basically have to paw paw out the hole
Ima pull the blocks bc that way it's atleast manageable and does do it unless I intentionally try to break em loose
Then save up for car tracs and shocks if I decide to go that route

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

So i clamped my leads awhile ago and it drastically got better. I pulled the 3in blocks and swapped them for some 1inch blocks because when i clamped both front and rear of the leafs it dropped me around a inch.
I have a small bit of wheel hop left... I think its time to get off these nitro drop 1's that are both blown

Just read ur thread and the blown shocks arent helping the problem at all, but cal tracs are what is needed (or some sort of traction bars) to completely eliminate your problem!