rear end issues

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
First of all I apologize if this has been answered or something. my searching sucks, and y'all know i'm a Ford guy so i have no idea. Yukon was making weird noises when I was home driving it. now dad's saying it got way worse. He dropped it off at the shop and it needs a rear end rebuild supposedly. the diff cover hasnt been taken off so i'm not sure what the gears look like. but its an open rear end with 4:10 gears. I'm assuming its a 10 bolt, and i know theres issues with those. I can't diagnose this thing 500 miles away and the mechanic hasn't gotten into it because theyre waiting for him to tell them to fix it.

I guess i'm looking for some explanation on what may be the issue so i can explain stuff to him. he's thinking about fixing it and just selling it, but i have no idea what hes gonna do. i'll probably be calling tomorrow or wednesday and asking what exactly they think is wrong with it.

its an 05 yukon xl, 5.3 4wd with 4:10's. only ever towed a few times. 36 ft. travel trailer 4 times, and a 10 ft box trailer a handful of times. also needs a driver side wheel bearing.

any links you migh have i can read or forward to my dad so he can get some understanding of whats wrong. I appreciate it guys, when the truck isn't right in front of me its hard to help him.

inb4 search you noob.

Axle seals leaking? Diff cover leaking? Fluid ever been changed before?
I know for me personally I had started to get a audible whine out of mine due to low fluid bc the axle seals were leaking. Fixed the seals put new fluid in and been fine ever since. Not saying thats 100% the case but a good place to start imo

Search you damn noob

:cheeky:

^But agreed. Need a better description of the noises but a fluid change/making sure it's full would be worth a shot

Axle seals leaking? Diff cover leaking? Fluid ever been changed before?
I know for me personally I had started to get a audible whine out of mine due to low fluid bc the axle seals were leaking. Fixed the seals put new fluid in and been fine ever since. Not saying thats 100% the case but a good place to start imo

its definitely a whine upon acceleration. it wasn't bad when i drove it. both dad and mom said it got worse and its a lot louder. i never saw any visible leaks. I told dad to go back through his slips to see if the fluid has ever been changed. I want to say it hasn't been but i'm not sure. I was thinking it may be low fluid, but i have no idea. it drives fine, just is obnoxious. i would love it to be that, because that would cut the bill down significantly.

Search you damn noob

:cheeky:

^But agreed. Need a better description of the noises but a fluid change/making sure it's full would be worth a shot

hahaha :eek:kay: i'll call my mom tomorrow and see if she can describe the noise to me better then dad. i wish i could be more help with the noise, but when i heard it it was like a whining sound, maybe humming. no grinding from what i remember.

Yeah. Usually a whining does mean it's on it's way out. It may last forever like that but that's usually the bearings going/the gears getting really worn. How many miles are on it?

Just depends on if he's willing to do a little extra work but I would definitely tell him to at least crawl under there, take out the plug and see if it's full. If it is, I'd say probably rebuild time. If not, buy a bottle to top off and see if it quietens it. If so, change the fluid and add whatever GMs friction modifier is and see how long it lasts

I'd have him check the diff cover and the back side of the axle shafts where the tube meets the dust shield(that's where my seal was leaking from). And I would definitely change the fluid especially since it's a 50k mile service interval and being an 05 I'm sure it's past that. But like I said earlier it may not fix it but it's certainly the cheapest and easiest place to start.

But I also don't understand how any reputable shop can flat out say the rear needs rebuilt without having even opening the case to diagnose.

Yeah. Usually a whining does mean it's on it's way out. It may last forever like that but that's usually the bearings going/the gears getting really worn. How many miles are on it?

Just depends on if he's willing to do a little extra work but I would definitely tell him to at least crawl under there, take out the plug and see if it's full. If it is, I'd say probably rebuild time. If not, buy a bottle to top off and see if it quietens it. If so, change the fluid and add whatever GMs friction modifier is and see how long it lasts

Not sure if g80, but if so NO additives are needed

And my whine almost sounded like an ambulance was behind me and only did it at highway speeds

I'd have him check the diff cover and the back side of the axle shafts where the tube meets the dust shield(that's where my seal was leaking from). And I would definitely change the fluid especially since it's a 50k mile service interval and being an 05 I'm sure it's past that. But like I said earlier it may not fix it but it's certainly the cheapest and easiest place to start.

But I also don't understand how any reputable shop can flat out say the rear needs rebuilt without having even opening the case to diagnose.
So much this

Not sure if g80, but if so NO additives are needed

And my whine almost sounded like an ambulance was behind me and only did it at highway speeds
Wasn't sure if G80 needed additives or not. Although he said it's open, idk about that either. Never changed the fluid in my truck or any of my buddies trucks so idk

sorry guys, its my fault i didn't explain things right, but the way the message was conveyed to me is how i typed it. my dad talked to the shop today and the part i missed is what they quoted him for repairs is worst case scenario. I conveyed what y'all had told me. unfortunately, he's a 68 year old dude with arthritis so his choice of activity isn't crawling under his truck. its at the shop and basically told them to pull the diff cover and inspect it and check everything out. if i was home i would have checked for the leaks and stuff, but unfortunately i'm not and that's one thing that sucks about when i moved is dad's not able to do things he used to anymore. anyways thats besides the point. i guess he'll know something friday. but it has just over 100k on it. dad's going back through the service records to see if its ever been changed, but the ships already set sail. so its getting fixed either way. we just wont know whats wrong until they open it up. which again, that part was lost in translation because i was at work when he told me and i was half paying attention.

anyways, i really appreciate all the help guys. ill pass more info onto him tomorrow when i talk to him and i'll keep y'all updated. :shake:

My rear end wined like a hell noise when i broke 2 teeth on the ring. I drove it for 2-3 months with only a wine as a symptom. I finally pulled the cover to realize it had broken 2 teeth.

Now is it possible he broke teeth off the ring or pinion yes. Likely no given age and im assuming stock for the most part.

You say open diff it could also be premature wear on the spider gears, they too will cause a wining noise and eventually just wear off and grind.

Pulling the cover will reveal your culprit, as some has said it could just be low on fluid however id assume the worse in which id rebuild with preferably truetrac/oem ring and pinion kit.

Ahhhh ok. Well, hoping for the best. Maybe he'll get lucky and it's just low on fluid

thanks man, appreciate it. thats what were hoping. should be hearing by Friday

if its a whine it is most likely low on fluid.

Thats the hope

My rear end wined like a hell noise when i broke 2 teeth on the ring. I drove it for 2-3 months with only a wine as a symptom. I finally pulled the cover to realize it had broken 2 teeth.

Now is it possible he broke teeth off the ring or pinion yes. Likely no given age and im assuming stock for the most part.

You say open diff it could also be premature wear on the spider gears, they too will cause a wining noise and eventually just wear off and grind.

Pulling the cover will reveal your culprit, as some has said it could just be low on fluid however id assume the worse in which id rebuild with preferably truetrac/oem ring and pinion kit.

hmm interesting, i guess we'll find out. but yeah its bone stock, only "mod" is stock sized Wrangler Duratracs. if it needs rebuilt it'll be rebuilt with oem parts.

dad got the truck back yesterday. rear end was lunched. bearings were all scored and stuff, and there was metal all throughout the fluid, and the gears were damaged. dad asked for the parts so that he could send me pictures. they scoured the shop and even sent one of the kids working there dumpster diving to see if they could find the parts, unfortunately they had been thrown away and picked up when the truck was finished thursday. oh well. they ended up doing a rear brake job, new pads and turned rotors, on the house while the rear end was apart. warrantied parts, including front wheel bearing that also needed replacing, for life