Replacing body mounts/bushings

BARBER

Black on Black
Mar 21, 2012
Owanka, SD
So on my Duramax I need to come up with a slight body lift for it. Either 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch to help clear my downpipe better. I was wondering while I did it would it be wise to go with all new body mounts...bushings...pads...whatever they're called. I got 191k on it right now and it sees a lot of rough roads.

Also the crew cab models, the furthest rear mounts use a hydraulic type mount. Idk if that was an upgrade later on like in 06 or 07, but will those fit on my extended cab on the far back as well?

I cant speak to the question about the crew cab, but yes I would say as long as youre under the truck and removing the body bolts anyway I would go ahead and replace the mounts. You can go stock or get some poly mounts from Energy Suspension, its a good idea to get new hardware too as those bolts go through hell. Throw in a 1" BL while youre in there too, I just did this to my blazer and I ended up getting 1.5" of lift, 1" from the BL, and .5" due to getting it back to stock height since the mounts were so worn after 25yr and 230k. Very worthwhile mod/repair IMO.

Thanks, I don't want to go too big on my amount of lift because of my flip over ball. I'll check into the Energy Suspension mounts. Never thought of them.

You could probably just get some really thick washers that are the same diameter as the body pucks. That's what I used for raising my front bumper a tad. They were exactly the same size as my body pucks, and I got 25 of them for ~$6. I believe they're 1/8" thick IIRC

Yea that was my thoughts, then I wouldn't need to get longer bolts. Local CAT dealership is really good with their stock of bolts and hardware, I need to pull a bolt out and see what they can get.

I would def get new mounts though considering the mileage and the kinds of roads it sees. Measure those, the frame the bolt goes through and try to see how much that leaves you for washers. I would probably throw some locktite on just for good measure since you're taking away a little of the grab area

Just another thought since the issue is only with the firewall, you could do a angled body lift like duraburb does with their conversions, make it like 3/4-1" in the front and taper off towards the back so it doesn't mess with the hitch or turnover ball

Just another thought since the issue is only with the firewall, you could do a angled body lift like duraburb does with their conversions, make it like 3/4-1" in the front and taper off towards the back so it doesn't mess with the hitch or turnover ball
My buddies '02 Duraburban has that on it. I don't know how much lift or the range is on it...but does someone make those kits? If so, who?

Otherwise, I think I'll get some 3" wide iron and use my buddies plasma cutter and start cutting out circle spacers and drill out the holes in the center. I'm undecided on how tall I should go. Thinking 1/4" and have thought about 3/8". That would be enough that it wouldn't be noticeable with the back bumper. Thoughts?

I think I would try 1/4" first just to see. You can loosen everything enough to just slide those in the front cab mounts to see if it even moves it enough without doing them all. I'd be willing to bet you'll need the 3/8" tho

I think I'll try 1/4" and if it won't be enough I'll opt for a 1/2" then I can get all new bolts that are a 1/2" longer. Got new poly body mounts coming as well.