Reprogram instrument cluster

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
So I bought a new cluster over the weekend for the GMC, just wanted to know if anyone knows where to get it reprogrammed for the correct mileage and all. I've called a few dealers local to me and they all say uh, no, we don't do that. We could sell you a new one for $1200 that will be programmed from GM for your vehicle.

:ayfkm:

No thanks buddy, got mine for 1/10 that. :pepper:

So I bought a new cluster over the weekend for the GMC, just wanted to know if anyone knows where to get it reprogrammed for the correct mileage and all. I've called a few dealers local to me and they all say uh, no, we don't do that.

Call GM and tell them that the dealer wont program it for you, they program them after replacement, they do not come preprogramed

Dumb bitch told me "Uh, no we don't do that. It's illegal to reprogram the mileage on vehicles." :nono:

Got a # for GM?

Who GM? I found a dealership in New Orleans that will do it for me. Hopefully get to them this weekend.

Tried to get multiple ones that had miles on them (used clusters) dialed back to correct mileage and was turned down, by dealer.

Speed-O-Tach - factory authorized car audio sales and service center

only place i found who would do it for reasonable price wanted like 60 bucks guys said he would put match mileage of my current cluster plus whatever i had currently only cluster. he was very nice when i called, i just threw in my new cluster as it only cost 80 bucks. figured when i go to sell the truck if ever i can always program the correct mileage. he did say he would like something showing current mileage on original cluster. asked if a picture was ok he said no problem. but suppose recent smog, registration, service record would have worked too. hope this helped

after 10 miles the cluster locks in the mileage

you sure that it cannot be changed ? when i had called that place they said they could reprogram my mileage, swore they said even with 10k on it. So then clusters are "remanufactured" on ebay we know mostly they are just replacing stepper motors lights and resetting mileage, hrs and vin.. if they can do it why could someone else ?? maybe cluster might need to be reset to zero and then programmed. I could be wrong but op let us know what you find out.

I bought a Denali Cluster off Ebay a few years ago. The mileage was 0. But I installed it and ended up putting about 20-25 miles on it, mainly because I wanted to make sure all the guages worked before spending the money to get it programmed. Then I call tons of dealers, some said they can't do it. Some said only if its 0 miles on the cluster, couldn't do it if the cluster had miles on it, and said nope even with only 25 miles they still cannot do it. One dealer said only if I buy the cluster from them (fuck that). I ended up selling the damn cluster for what I paid for it because I found a HD cluster with almost the same miles as mine. I also talked to a guy who I know that worked at Best Chevrolet in Metairie. He said he talked to the guys in the service dept, and they said they can do it with a Tech-2, but they "ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO" do it if the cluster already has miles on it. He was telling me that if I brought my truck in for something else that would require a tech -2, that they could hook me up and reprogram the cluster while they were at it, but it was too risky to have me pull in and they just hook me up. I never got around to doing it though, because I had to have the truck present and I didn't feel like driving all the way down there just for that.

I bought a Denali Cluster off Ebay a few years ago. The mileage was 0. But I installed it and ended up putting about 20-25 miles on it, mainly because I wanted to make sure all the guages worked before spending the money to get it programmed. Then I call tons of dealers, some said they can't do it. Some said only if its 0 miles on the cluster, couldn't do it if the cluster had miles on it, and said nope even with only 25 miles they still cannot do it. One dealer said only if I buy the cluster from them (fuck that). I ended up selling the damn cluster for what I paid for it because I found a HD cluster with almost the same miles as mine. I also talked to a guy who I know that worked at Best Chevrolet in Metairie. He said he talked to the guys in the service dept, and they said they can do it with a Tech-2, but they "ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO" do it if the cluster already has miles on it. He was telling me that if I brought my truck in for something else that would require a tech -2, that they could hook me up and reprogram the cluster while they were at it, but it was too risky to have me pull in and they just hook me up. I never got around to doing it though, because I had to have the truck present and I didn't feel like driving all the way down there just for that.

makes sense i knew that the dealer wouldnt do it, but i believe the place from link i posted will.

any dealer can reprogram the clusters, if they say they can't they're either lying or incompetent

True. But most dealers do not want to take part in any odometer fraud, so they refuse to do it unless its a new cluster with zero miles. If the cluster has no miles, then theres no way it can be fraud. But if they really wanted to, they have the equipment to do it whether its a zero mile cluster or a 200k mile cluster.

Originally I was going to Best Chevy in Gentilly area, they said $100. Then I found out a cousin of a guy I work with was working at Levis here in Slidell. He already put his 2 week notice in and said he could do it for $50. Figured what's the worse they would do fire him?

:bishplz:

Originally I was going to Best Chevy in Gentilly area, they said $100. Then I found out a cousin of a guy I work with was working at Levis here in Slidell. He already put his 2 week notice in and said he could do it for $50. Figured what's the worse they would do fire him?

:bishplz:

Damn. I need to get this Denali cluster programmed. I will be in NOLA Monday and was trying to see if anybody could do it for me.