Important!: Rims rusting!? WTH??

cknox121

Mar 27, 2012
Hey all

I just recently got a set of new ultra predator rims. Looking at the truck today I noticed that one rim was a little more brown then the other. Went and felt it and feels like the whole rim is rusting!!

What should I do to help it out? How would I get the rust off? Metal polish? What about a wax or sealant to put over them to prevent this?

My washing technique is just soap and water and a wash mitt for the rims, and apc on tires. I wash each off well with water after scrubbing on them.

You can use chrome polish on them to get the rust off, then put a good coat of wax on them. The rust is probably from your brake pads. I had the same problem with the wheels I had on the front of the Silvy because the pads were metallic. Any pics?

5eb449e1.jpg
524989af.jpg
9a020a80.jpg
e5b492e4.jpg
0680f1ed.jpg

Is it something I need to get off ASAP? Or can it be there for a day or 2 more?

wow that's bad. I'd go with some abrasive rubbing compound of some sort and then wax it real good but I'm not sure with that extent of damage if it'll completely fix the issue.

You say these wheels are fairly new?

The issue with chrome rims is if they're not kept clean most of the time they do have a tendency to rust up pretty fast. do you keep yours cleaned?

About a month or 2. I was at the beach this past weekend :think:

I wash it about every weekend or every other.

What suggestions for a compound to use?

At least it's only one wheel and not all 4

That's what the front wheels looked like for me. This will remove that.

41cqpP1P3jL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

After just use a good wax and seal them.

Thanks for the help man! I was like wtf!? Brand new rims and they doing this.

Maybe it's the metal from my rotors. Been grinding for a week now.

That chrome polish cleaned it right up, and I also put wax on all the wheels.

Brakes are so much better. No squeaking.