Important!: Someone school me on shocks?

brandon750

Mar 24, 2012
OK first off I have a 04 silverado rcsb with zone off-road 6" lift with about a inch of crank and zone off-road 1.5in bl. I'm running the regular shocks that came with the lift and I'd like something better. Something that's gonna help the truck and give Me a little more ride quality.

IV read things about bilstein shocks and they are suppose to be good stuff. My first question is. Is there anything better? Or is this the best bang for your buck?

Second is what number?? 5100,7100,5000???
Third is what length? IV heard things like 7in shocks set at 9 or something like that. So I'm guessing there's like a 6" u can set at 8" for my truck?
Fourth and final is.. reservoir shocks? I know they look cool and all but what do they do? Do they help ride quality or just so u can adjust them eaiser?

Thanks for any help in advance. This will help meto greatly!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Well im not the expert.
But ive heard ALOT of great things about there shocks and if I was looking that would probably be the first place id look.
I had a friend that had them on his truck with 40s and he loved emm.

Not sure the size tho. Sorry.

Well I can get a killer deal on the 5100 series reservoir shocks so I may go with them but idk yet. Waiting for more input

you need shocks for a 6" lift for the front and a 12-14" travel shock for the rear. You don't add bodylift height when ordering shocks since its not added height via suspension. Call them when you order and they can point you in the right direction as far as which shock length will work best for your setup.

Fourth and final is.. reservoir shocks? I know they look cool and all but what do they do? Do they help ride quality or just so u can adjust them eaiser?

Some may argue here, but reservoirs serve no purpose other than looking cool on the street. Reservoirs are made to help keep the shocks cool, and anywhere but the desert/dunes, I don't think overheating will be an issue.

I'd just run some bilsteins man, in your situation they may help. However with my RCX kit cranked and 55 psi in tires shocks won't affect ride quality

what is this killer deal on 5100s that you speak of?

reservior shocks pretty much are just for looks unless it is an offroad pig, but yeah they look good and keep em cool as possible

Yeah, some regular ole Bilstein 5100s (or whatever the ones without resi are) should be fine for your truck. When I put my RC level on I wanted to get them but couldn't fork out the cash. Like Grant said, just call them to verify what length you need.

I'd just run some bilsteins man, in your situation they may help. However with my RCX kit cranked and 55 psi in tires shocks won't affect ride quality

55 psi?? Why do you run so much pressure?

To clear it up for you, when people referr to bilsteins being adjustable its because its on a nnbs style truck with mcpherson struts, there are different height adjustments for the strut. Your truck runs tbars, so no adjustable height shock available.

Like everyone says, get the reg bilsteins, ride will improve, however if your cranked to high its gonna be hard to get a good ride

Ran them on both my lmm and nbs cc lifted, ride great and good quality

Well basically i can get them for dealer cost.

I think im going to go with the resi's just cause i like the look of them even tho they dont do nothing in my case.

The resivoir bilsteins your talking about are they the ones that have the half size resivoir? I believe those are 5150's. I used to have them on one of my rangers. They were a bit stiff. Best bang for the buck on a daily driver would IMO be the regular bilsteins. At least with my experience. They rode good on the street and took offroad abuse a lot longer than any other shock.