Stock Cluter Bulb ?

hddoc

Oct 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
This is the stock cluster bulb, Do I have to solder in a replacement or can a bulb be pushed in this socket after removing the burnt out one. Also what number bulb does it take if it takes a push in one ? I just did my stepper motors and now I have one bulb that just burnt out. I like the stock bulbs on this RST dash nice and red and plenty bright. Also I was thinking of replacing them all while I'am in there. Never paid attention to how many are in the to replace. Thanks Doc

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can just pull them out of the base. I'm not sure what type of bulb it is though, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

The only bulbs I have a hard time seeing are the warning bulbs, like the check engine light, high beam etc.. The RST has a red background that is easy to see even in the daytime. If I have to solder the stock bulbs in I guess I will be forced to go LED. Thanks Doc

The 04s had the bulbs soldered in. I would just go with LEDs, it's not that expensive plus you won't have to worry about them going out again like you will with the factory bulbs. Just buy quality LEDs and resistors and all will be well.

Scottyboy does the conversions if you wanted to ship your cluster to him, last I saw I think it was $50 plus shipping and he would convert the whole cluster

Edit: Here's the thread with pricing and some pictures
http://customgm.com/sale-trade-clas.../3783-03-07c-led-cluster-conversions-$50.html

Last edited:
It's you're going led, don't bother with unsoldering the bulbs at all. Just use an led strip and solder it. Much easier and only one solder point.

I did see the LED light strip tread, but I do not see how that mod will make the warning lights brighter as in high beam , check engine, Ect. Or does It? Thanks Doc

I don't think they have an actual bulb number as they have to be soldered in and wont have a base on them, but here's a link to them on ebay. You might be able to find them cheaper, I just found the first listing with them. Just search for "04 sierra gauge cluster bulbs" on google or ebay and you should be able to find them

25 4 7mm 14V GM Chevy Gauge Cluster Speedometer Climate Control Lamps Bulbs | eBay

The stock bulbs don't have an actual part number. Just solder on some replacement bulbs from eBay, Amazon or Radio Shack. You can reuse the bulb bases if you want. Once you get one off you will see how the thin leads on the bulbs just thread down thru the base. Kinda like mini bulbs on Christmas lights. If you soldered on new stepper motors, then replacing the bulbs should be very easy for you.

Thanks Scotty, Your pictures did help me do the stepper motors and your wright up. I found a video on youtube that shows the stock bulbs and how to solder them on the board. Thanks Doc

Last edited:
Looking into this further, I believe I will attempt to do mine with the light strip, Makes sense to only do this once using the LED strip. Thanks all for your help ! Doc

What light strip should I use for the cluster. I have read some on them and not all great reviews on these strips. Anyone with good ones? Thanks Doc

I would like to know what is the best light strip I can use, Many on ebay, not all have great reviews. Any help ? Thanks Doc