Tire shine; gel vs foam vs spray

Bassmaster

Media Mod
Mar 8, 2012
South Jersey
im sure the question, "whats the best"? is too blatant.. so what are the pro's and con's with your experiences between gel, foam, and spray? here two of my recent's

gel - i was using Meguairs Hot Shine gel that my dad had in the cabinet for a while with a little foam tire applicator. Being that it was a gel, it was kinda tacky and a pain in the ass to use, but it did work pretty good and lasted at least a 1.5 - 2 weeks. the longevity of the bottle was outstanding too. i did at least 15+ vehicles from my house over the time and only used just about 3/4 of it. i also liked how i could control where i applied it and had very minimal ever getting on the wheels. i only ever had to use it on either All Terrain or Highway tires, so the hand application was do-able. probably is a real PITA with MT sidewalls

foam - after seeing a friend use Hot Shine in a foam sprayer can, i had to ditch the gel. so i went and picked up a can of Black Magic Tire Wet foam, which had decent reviews. i first used it on my uncle's Porsche. due to small sidewalls it only took one line of spray to cover it all, so i loved how much faster it was. i let dry, wiped off, and it turned out good. but once i used it on my truck i wasn't so enthused about it anymore. the bigger sidewall (only 31's on 18's) needed 3-4 lines to cover everything, which made some overlapping, creating runs all over. the tires look good from afar, but up real close you can see tiny blotchings and a few run marks. i also hated that the wind blows some over spray onto my truck, and that in order to get near the bead of the tire, a lot of product gets all over the outside of the wheels. not that its a huge harmful deal, just annoying as shit to wipe it all off.

spray - never used any, but seen some like Meguiars Endurance spray before

***spark notes***​
GEL
pros:
-product durability
-even coats
-minimal product on unwanted areas
-bottle longevity

cons:
-takes a long time
-hard to spread tacky gel
-bad for aggressive sidewall

FOAM
pros:
-ease of use
-very fast
-gets all nooks and crannies

cons:
-truck/wheel over spray
-not very accurate
-uneven/runny coat
-can wont last as long

so theres my big rant on a little topic..lets here which type you use, why you like it better/worse, or even suggest a better product :beer:

Since I've moved to toyi mt from nitto trails, i have also found that straight svrt is easier to apply on the tires now. Before with trails i had to make svrt milk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Depends on the bottle you use, but doesn't leave runs for me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use a combo, and it worked quite well, I did it last sunday, still looking pretty damn good, and minimal "kick-off". I used a gel with a wet sponge, then a spray, not foam.

Depends on the bottle you use, but doesn't leave runs for me

Gotyaa. Did you get a decent amount of uses from svrt per bottle with your 35s?

I use a combo, and it worked quite well, I did it last sunday, still looking pretty damn good, and minimal "kick-off". I used a gel with a wet sponge, then a spray, not foam.

Product infos? And so you did gel, wipe, spray, wipe?

sent from my HTC Rezound

Got a sponge, soaked it, squirted gel on, rubbed on tire. Let it set for a few, then sprayed, did not wipe off. I didn't drench it, and I was in a rush.

I'd like to try one that does not attract shit like the one you posted! I can't stand when my bedcover is covered in shit.

I bought some stuff at O'Reillys once called No Touch tire care, shit was cheap and worked really good..spray it on and leave it alone, cleans and shines but doesn't make it greasy
It was definitely worth it for the money, I think like $5-6 or so

super VRT, mixed with water into milk.

spray on with normal bottle, and wipe off with rag, it makes it have a semi gloss finish, that lasts longer, repels dirt and water, and looks better.

Everything else i have used turns tires brown eventually, because it is like a glue and takes forever to try to scrub off with degreaser.

I use super vrt and an not going back to anything, it stays on for about a month plus keeps all the plastics on the avy real shiney. The only bad part which is not big, is that when it rains the day after you can see the run down from the mirrors and other plastics. But the tires do not get dirt attracted to them.

sent from a Sammy Epic

I use super vrt and an not going back to anything, it stays on for about a month plus keeps all the plastics on the avy real shiney. The only bad part which is not big, is that when it rains the day after you can see the run down from the mirrors and other plastics. But the tires do not get dirt attracted to them.

sent from a Sammy Epic

if you talk to dylan, he says try using less product, or using a micro fiber to try to "buff" the excess off, its excess VRT that is running down.

I see everyone using the svrt, but I'm afraid if paying the big bucks for a bottle.. And only having it last a few times. Does using it on tires eat up the can?

sent from my HTC Rezound

thats why you make it milk.

i buy the 36oz bottle, and a empty bottle and spray nozzle.

I put maybe 3/4" of vrt into the empty, then add water, you want it at the consistancy of milk.

then you spray it on. I have had my 36oz bottle for a few months with it still being 3/4 full.