Tru-Cool 40K Trans Cooler

Colyn.

Acrophobic
Mar 17, 2012
Alma, GA
Im looking into getting a tru-cool 40k trans cooler and was wondering about getting the cold weather bypass kit along with it? What does it do and with me living in south GA (Very close to FL) would I need that and right now I have a 4L60e but will be upgrading to a 4L80e so I can swap it right, I wouldnt see why not?

Part Number is 4739 and it is a Tru-Cool...

This wont make my trans run to cool will it? I figured that optimal running temp would be like 150*-170* ish, im not very sure but looking to do this upgrade soon. And while im at it does anyone recommend upgrading the stock oil cooler also or you guys let me know what you would do if it was your truck.

Colyn.

On a stock truck, I absolutely see a need for one. You have very heavy wheels and tires, and 60e's are notorious for burning up from heat issues. Its cheap insurance.

You do not need the cold weather kit.

Personally i went with a much larger cooler, but my setup is not stock. I went with one of Flexalites big Oil coolers
GEDC0156.jpg

I just look at trucks like my cousin's that has 175k on the original tranny, and he pulls trailers all the time. the 60e lacks, I agree, but I'd venture out and say a big majority of failures are from owner's abusing the truck, such as the burnout thread...

Well the kit I found is close to $130 and thats without the cold weather bypass which you said I wont need brandon... Should I just use normal lines or SS or what would you recommend? I know there is a thread on pt.net on running lines which I can use for install...

Also what about oil coolers? Recommend or No.....

I just ran rubber trans line with high pressure clamps. You could have hard lines, SS, whatever u prefer.

Oil cooler is not much of a concern with a LS at decent power levels

I will just use rubber then...

And I found that price on ebay.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I doubt you even have a factory oil cooler, external that is. Deleted from my 6L. Extra insurance on trans temp never hurts, my last 60e had no cooler and the hell beat out of it for 165k, before that it went at 85k being babied

Mine doesn't have a factory cooler... I looked amd im going to just do AN fittings and -6 line and be done with it no leaks or worries. Mine had 115K when bought and now 155K or so...

Have tru cool 40k on ccsb, will put one on rcsb. Insurance. Piece of mind.

You can buy them all on eBay for $130, not a deal, but that's the cheapest place I found them. Will be doing that hopefully soon as stated on the rcsb.

Parts list for a -6 AN line swap for 4L60e.. Would just need alittle longer hose and a different fitting that goes inside trans for 4L80e...

6antrans.png

Different setup pictures...

IMG_1923Custom.jpg

IMG_1924Custom.jpg

IMG_1930Custom.jpg

IMG_1931Custom.jpg

P1010196-1.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
The 02 I got from James had the trucool 40k and loved it. Cant quite remember what trans temp stayed between but it was a significant amount cooler though. Worth the little bit of money that it does cost, especially if doing some power mods and with you hauling stuff around.

Instead of making a new thread I figured I would bump this one. Not really digging how noticeable this cooler is behind the grill. Can't you paint these things with a certain paint? Has anyone done it? I read on pt.net a while back about someone doing it but never read the outcome. Just someone saying it would run hotter thus contradicting the the whole reason of adding it. If not I may just redo it and put it behind the bumper.

I don't see why not, I painted everything behind my grille black to make it look better. Stock rad/trans cooler and all, no issues. I'd assume you could do the same with this :shrug:

It doesn't hurt anything to paint it just runs alittle hotter than it would if it wasn't painted.