What size gears, and where to buy them.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
Got another question for you guys.

I'm looking at maybe buying gears for my rearend, but am somewhat hesitant on the idea of what ratio to get. I'm not lifted, and I run on 20's with 275/50 tires. I measured it yesterday, and got a tire width of about 31-32". According to this graph, http://customgm.com/f51/gearing-you-862.html , I could go with 4.27 gears, or 4.56.

What size would you get in my situation? I'm currently running on 3.73. I do mostly city driving, very little highway; the most I'll do often is 15 miles one way (to Denton). I do occasionally drive to DFW, but I wouldn't mind the gas because everything I need is all within 10 blocks of my house. One last question, where would I be able to buy a quality set of gears?

Thanks in advance.

Ron's ring and pinion. Google it. I believe it will pull up ronsmachining.com.
your mileage will be horrible on 4.56 with those tires I run 33s with them and on the highway my rpm's are high. I average between 9.5-10.5 I'd go with 4.10s if you just want to change them. Although 3.73s are fine with the tires you are running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You dont need gears that big honestly keep the 3.73s why do you want gears? Racing? If so go 4.10s but the 3.73s are fine

Ron's ring and pinion. Google it. I believe it will pull up ronsmachining.com.
your mileage will be horrible on 4.56 with those tires I run 33s with them and on the highway my rpm's are high. I average between 9.5-10.5 I'd go with 4.10s if you just want to change them. Although 3.73s are fine with the tires you are running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, thanks for the input. How would I be able to check what size rear end I have?

You dont need gears that big honestly keep the 3.73s why do you want gears? Racing? If so go 4.10s but the 3.73s are fine

I'd like to decrease my launch time by a little. I've looked around, and noticed some people that run with the 4.10 gears. I wasn't sure how much more worse the 4.56 would be for gas mileage. Thanks for the input! By the way, I've looked just about everywhere, and can't find a grille emblem like yours, where did you buy it?

I made it lol the star came from a Texas edition badge... Check your glove box for the codes starting with g google them and it will tell you what gears you have

I made it lol the star came from a Texas edition badge... Check your glove box for the codes starting with g google them and it will tell you what gears you have

Hah, that's what I thought it might be. Looks awesome, makes your truck stand out from the crowd for sure. I already know I'm running 3.73 gears, what I was wondering is how do I tell if it's a 12-bolt/7.2"/7.5"/8.2"/8.5"/8.6"/9.5" ?

4.30's IMO

I'm going to play it safe and stick with 4.10's.

Okay, finally discovered that I need to get a ring and pinion set for a 8.5/8.6 10-bolt. (info from Jegs, Summit didn't know.) Does anyone know of a decent shop for the install? Money is really no concern, I want to be sure it will be done right.

^ not having ever re geared myself, I'm gonna ask this: wouldn't the difference going from 3.73 to 3.90 be negligible at best?

personally wouldnt waste my money on a gear swap going from 3.73 to 3.90/4.10. Spend your money else where on go fast parts. Stall/Cam IMO

personally wouldnt waste my money on a gear swap going from 3.73 to 3.90/4.10. Spend your money else where on go fast parts. Stall/Cam IMO

Cam/stall/supercharge/...list goes on and on, just getting smaller/cheaper stuff out of the way first.

Texas Drivetrain Performance

And it all matters on where you want your rpm's at cruising in most cases here...

3.90s def cut better 60' like a 4.10 thats one reason i would change... and they have mexico racing manners of 3.73s
I only believe in 3.73 or higher for turbo setups!