99 5.3 starting issues

An Bro

Apr 5, 2013
Kansas
Hey guys. Here recently the truck started having issues starting. So I changed the fuel pressure regulator and filter. What I do to get it started is turn the key on and off twice. The pump still sounds strong and is obviously working. It idles and runs great. I feel like the fuel pressure isn't holding after the truck sits for a while. Before I changed the filter, I released the pressure from the system. And no fuel came out.

What could be the issue?

Time for a fuel pump?

Thank you!

Does the fuel pump whine loudly?

What's considered loud? I can faintly hear it with the windows up.

yea there should have been fuel that came out of the line. get that pump checked

Correct. Does checking the pump consist of removing the pump? I want to use this as a last resort.

get a fuel pressure tester

What will this tell me? I/we already know that the pump builds pressure to start and keep the truck running. And that it looses pressure as it sits.

The fuel pump is bad. Hook a fuel pressure gauge up. Anything less than 55psi is no good. Its an entire sending unit. Will cost you about $$300 for a delco pump. Otherwise you can get a cheap one for about $130 but they really are not great pumps.