A-Fuso's RCSB 6.0 Build

great work man, making me wish id got a 6blow. lol
I tried to tell ya fool. These motors are maintenance whores. They NEED clean fluids and fresh batteries. They aren't a12v cummins that you can piss in every 30k miles for an oil change and drive twice a year cranking on dead batteries.
People that have major problems are people that let them snowball because they are cheap bastards or just don't know better. It's like a small spot of skin cancer, you can either get it addressed while it's small and continue on your life, or let it spread and kill you. Once you address the oil cooler and head bolts these trucks are not that bad as long as they are taken care of. People who don't drive them because they can't afford the fuel or are afraid of them are the people who have the worst time. Keep the oil cooler monitored and your batt/ficm voltage monitored and your oil pressure and you can catch problems before they start, if they even start. But a simple dead battery or plugged oil cooler can get expensive quick if not tended to.
Dead batt>dead ficm>dead injectors. A $200 problem will turn into a $3500 problem if ignored. Dead oil cooler>dead egr>dead head bolts/gaskets>dead injectors from over heated oil. Change your fuckin oil cooler for $400, won't have that problem.
10k mile oil changes and 10yr old coolant don't cut it in a 6.0. Don't be a cheap bastard. Change your fluids.
Dead oil>dead hpop>dead injectors.

All of the pattern failures are well documented on these motors and fixes are readily available. It's kind of fucked that you have to deal with them, but it is what it is. I love me a 6leaker

Last edited:
I tried to tell ya fool. These motors are maintenance whores. They NEED clean fluids and fresh batteries. They aren't a12v cummins that you can piss in every 30k miles for an oil change and drive twice a year cranking on dead batteries.
People that have major problems are people that let them snowball because they are cheap bastards or just don't know better. It's like a small spot of skin cancer, you can either get it addressed while it's small and continue on your life, or let it spread and kill you. Once you address the oil cooler and head bolts these trucks are not that bad as long as they are taken care of. People who don't drive them because they can't afford the fuel or are afraid of them are the people who have the worst time. Keep the oil cooler monitored and your batt/ficm voltage monitored and your oil pressure and you can catch problems before they start, if they even start. But a simple dead battery or plugged oil cooler can get expensive quick if not tended to.
Dead batt>dead ficm>dead injectors. A $200 problem will turn into a $3500 problem if ignored. Dead oil cooler>dead egr>dead head bolts/gaskets>dead injectors from over heated oil. Change your fuckin oil cooler for $400, won't have that problem.
10k mile oil changes and 10yr old coolant don't cut it in a 6.0. Don't be a cheap bastard. Change your fluids.
Dead oil>dead hpop>dead injectors.

All of the pattern failures are well documented on these motors and fixes are readily available. It's kind of fucked that you have to deal with them, but it is what it is. I love me a 6leaker

Exactly what I've been seeing too, basically if you drive the truck daily and keep it Regularly maintained like a gas vehicle, then it will live a long service life. The people that rarely drive theirs because they only bought the truck to tow their travel trailer will have problems. And when it's time for repairs, as with anything else, don't half ass it the first time trying to save money because it will snowball and come back worse next time.

I will get more pics up later today, but last night we got the engine off the stand, installed the rear cover, hpop cover, egr cooler, intake manifold and my brother and a friend spent 3 hours with degreaser and soap cleaning the wiring harness, and carefully took off all the old loom and tape and replaced every piece of it. Then I started mocking up the wiring harness on the engine last night, but need to get dielectric grease today before plugging everything in.

Got the engine just about buttoned up this weekend. Need to clean the motor mounts up and get a regulated return system plumbed before it can go in the truck.

My brother and friend spent 3 hours degreasing the wiring harness and re-wrapping it with all new loom and tape. Much better than the old slippery mess it was.

Some of you may be able to see the custom mod I snuck in here too...

29ec865a713aa86a8fd417b9fedbd412.jpg

8128aaf3584d8f7fd82e6a6f276529aa.jpg

9ac136401a46d6debb4281d3bf70bf90.jpg

5648653b96517f59de008feecd871921.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: eand28
Niiicee. I like dat sneaky pipe

You need dis intake. Wpe ported
7f7125815256edd78081884cae145691.jpg

why don't you make a nice donation for me of that turbo and injectors for starters? I'm broke after this build lol

Noticed it had front leafs, what year did the SDs go to radius arms?

Ya 03 and 04 are leaf sprung still. If we decide to keep the truck it may get a 05 front axle eventually because i'm guessing it's gonna ride a little rough.

Got the engine in last weekend and all the accessories buttoned up yesterday to finally start it.
5646ad02b4a36227bc43d81af0a3046c.jpg

ae04405f5d686bf502bb13cfe5023ef9.jpg

e9bf40d562c13dc2b74f9442b7307507.jpg

She needs a few kinks worked out and a break-in before I can smog and register it at the end of the month, but seems to run damn good already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks awesome man glad it started for you after doing all that work.

also i feel like it needs new style mirrors really bad. besides that id drive it for sure :up:

that looks awesome man glad it started for you after doing all that work.

also i feel like it needs new style mirrors really bad. besides that id drive it for sure :up:

Well the first try I noticed a huge diesel leak, turns out I forgot to tighten the return line from the regulator. Cranked for a few trys and it finally fired and came to life. Took it for a test drive and I''m pretty sure I messed up the rear main when i installed it, got a leak coming from around the bell housing. Will have to pull the trans eventually and clean it up and redo the seal with the special tool (fml right?)

Also planning on a full paint job, redo it white, with 08 mirrors and tailgate, and paint the wiper cowl and handles. That would do it for me personally, and I put in white leds in the cab lights yesterday and picked up some clear oem style tails for it. Got to find some crew cab grey rear seat belts for it and get new wiper cowl pieces because mine are cracked all over. And get quotes for a paint job.

Ordered '08 mirrors with chrome caps and clear signals today, and a clear 3rd brake light.

Needs 8x170 welds in a 12" wide flavor :imo:

:cheeky:

Looking good man! Glad it's coming together nicely

When you do i want to come see it. You live near me right?
I'm by like folsom/granite bay/el dorado hills/Placerville area.

I gotta send out my radius arms, drag link, track bar, driveline, front diff cover and some other shit to powder this next week

Last edited:
I'm by like folsom/granite bay/el dorado hills/Placerville area.

I gotta send out my radius arms, drag link, track bar, driveline, front diff cover and some other shit to powder this next week

So a little over an hour away, I'm in Lodi.

Just ordered all the rest of the leds I need to complete the exterior