Alternator questions relating e-fans

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Not sure if this is in right section.. Mods feel free to move.

2000 silverado. Added 34" radiator and 05+ oem fans with a Nelson harness. Truck doesn't want to idle from the alternator not keeping up. I have an ASP overdrive alternator pulley and I believe it's the original 105 amp. Had it tested and it's fine on startup, but after a minute of idling it starts to drop.

For those who added efans did you have problems with your stock alternator? If so what size is it? It's also squealing too so I'm probably going to have to replace.

Truck has efans, HIDs, soon to have rigid lights, and the stereo is stock but I will probably add a small sub/amp combo in the future. How many amp alternator should I go? I don't need a crazy 300 amp one, and would like to keep it around $300...Been looking at dc power and mechman. Any sponsors on here sell good alternators?

Been looking at this
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/8237-185-oem.html#tab-product_overview

Will this be enough amps? Thanks

Eddie just got a nice alternator from DC I believe. I'd get the suv alt at minimum.
SUV? Is that the factory 145a?

My stock 105 alt worked just fine with fan upgrade. I did pick up a used 130 amp I believe from Scotty though. Not that much diff IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've consider a factory 145a. I'd have to put the overdrive pulley on it though to make up for the crank pulley.

just get the 160 (iirc)off an HD truck. I love my DC but it kills some power because of the increased drag. Go to ur local autozone, axe them to pull up an alt for same yr truck as urs but HD gasser...should be same but iirc its a 160. IDK what the price is but if its close to the DC 180 then just get the DC. Call and dial 2, talk to Anthony and tell him eddie with the silverado 300A sent u...hell take care of u.

My stock alternator was a 130a. That's the one I gave to Gannon. My truck bogged down a little but only at idle when BOTH fans were on high and my AC was on full blast. I got a used 145a off a 04 Tahoe. I also added a overdrive pulley. I notice a pretty big difference, but there's still a slight bogging with both fans on and the front and rear AC both blowing on high. Before, my voltage gauge would sometimes dip as low as 10 volts. Now it will rarely dip under 12, and the lowest it ever goes is 11. And this ONLY ever happens at idle with EVERYTHING on. If I turn off my rear AC, or turn both AC down some it will go back to 13volts. I never dip under 13 if I'm at 1200rpms or higher.

Also.....keep in mind that the alt plugs changed in 05. Son if you have a pre-05 truck, stick with an alt for a 99-04 truck. The 03+04 SUV's all came with 145a alternators. Some people say they came with 160's but I have yet to find one listed at any parys retailer. I only see 160's listed for 05+ SUV's.

I had a 105a bought a new 145a, never changed a pulley or anything tho?
145 compared to 105 lol
31648D23-0F9D-43DE-B393-EC55155C8655-19554-00000E603344A8FA_zps6ac60158.jpg

Also, like Jimmy showed, the 105a is much smaller than the other alternators. You will need a longer belt when upgrading to a 145 or larger
If you have a stock 130a (as what was in my truck) then the belt doesn't need to be changed, the 130a already has the longer belt.

Also, like Jimmy showed, the 105a is much smaller than the other alternators. You will need a longer belt when upgrading to a 145 or larger
If you have a stock 130a (as what was in my truck) then the belt doesn't need to be changed, the 130a already has the longer belt.

I was able to reuse my belt.. It was a tight fit but havent had any problems. Lol

Bumping this because I may be shopping for an alt very soon, and not by choice.

Let me see if I have this straight.

Stock is 105
Pre 03 SUVs had the 130 like Scotty
03-04 SUVs had 145
HDs possibly have a 160(?)

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just look to get burb alt off an 04 and a longer belt as an OEM upgrade?