Another led cluster question

jiggie

Jan 24, 2017
So this is a little bit different of an led question. So i know how to do it and i know what it will look like but noone says which leds are the best ones to use. I went to amazon and when you search 194 you get a buch of different styles of 194 led bulb. So what style make the cluster look the best with out dark spots or bright spots?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

So this is a little bit different of an led question. So i know how to do it and i know what it will look like but noone says which leds are the best ones to use. I went to amazon and when you search 194 you get a buch of different styles of 194 led bulb. So what style make the cluster look the best with out dark spots or bright spots?

"Inverted wedge" are the best for this. They spread the light wider than typical led's

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Got ya. Im thinking thease. Got a replacement cluster from my parts vehicle that im switching in.

ddae500b437f963a0a18a0af193131b0.jpg

I used an led strip and it works much better than regular leds, which I used the first time around.

Reactions: jiggie
Ill check it out!! That would be so much easier to just wire up a strip

You basically just tap the leads of the strip into one of the bulb spots, then run the strip around the cluster. Easy and no hot spots.

Here's my leds with the strip I ordered off eBay. I had a bunch of pics on gmfullsize I'd have to find too. This is the only way I would do it. Just be sure to surround all the guages the same or you will have hot spots.

what year truck is it?
^^This.
Depending on what year truck you have is what I would go with. If you have a 99-02, then use the 194 LEDs that you posted a picture of. I have the same type of 5sided LED bulbs in my cluster and they have a great light spread with no hotspots. If you have a 2003-2006 (or 07 Classic) then use the LED strips like others have mentioned. There are several write ups on here showing how to add LEDs to the 03-06 clusters, but instead of using individual LEDs, just use a strip.

Reactions: Ginger