Diggerdan11's 03 1500HD Build

Diggerdan11

Oct 11, 2013
Tigard, OR
Hey guys, Im on this site all the time, but I rarely post, but i figured it would be fun to start a build thread on my 03 1500HD. I have done a few minor mods already, and im planning on more in the future.

Bought the truck right before Christmas 2012. I was driving an 03 Tahoe and I also had an 05 Silverado SS which became a Garage Queen. The Tahoe was my wifes, then I bought her a Subaru, and after a few months of driving the hoe i decided i missed having a truck, plus i figured it would be more practical. I started looking for a new truck, I wanted a crew cab with the 6.5 ft bed so my options were either a 2500HD or a 1500HD. I had my heart set on finding a 2500HD diesel, but then I started questioning whether or not i wanted a diesel. All the diesels i found either had super high miles and were super expensive, and I did not want to pay too much since it was originaly going to be just my winter/hunting rig and I would drive the SS in the summer. Well I found this 03 1500HD with only 58K miles on it, and I had to have it. Then several months later I sold my SS so the HD became my main vehicle.

Mods so Far

Performance:
Nelson Performance Tune
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
K&N Intake

Suspension:
2" Level
Billstein 5100's (Front)

Wheels/Tires:
16" Ultra Phantoms Black
285/75 r16 (33's) Wild Country XTX Sports

Interior/Exterior/Other:
Recon LED Tails/Third Brake Light
Morimoto Retrofit 5000k
3000 HIDs (Fogs)
De-Badge/ De-Molded
Black Tread Bed Caps
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS
Pioneer TS-SW841D Shallow Mount Sub and Box
Alpine MRH-F255 5-Channel Amp (Old School)
Alpine SPC-610C 6.5" Component Speakers
Color Match Grille
4-High Mod
Black Billet Bowtie
Black Billet Shortie Antenna
Compustar Remote Start/Alarm
Fat Mat Sound Deadening

Possibly Coming Soon:
Color matching bumpers and other trim
Tow Mirrors
4" or 6" lift (not sure which size or brand yet)
I want to get it re-painted since it has quite a few minor scratches all over the truck

Here is a picture of the first day I bought her

First thing I did was add a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS head unit

Did not do much to her for the first few months until I sold my SS. Then I bought a K&N Intake, got a Tune from Nelson performance and bought a Magnaflow singe exit exhaust.

I then bought a a set of Ultra Phantoms in black. It took me almost 3 months to get them because they were on back order. During that time I got my truck leveled because i knew there may be issues with rubbing with the new wheels.

Last edited:
I then removed the window visors, and de-badged/de-molded the truck

There were some issues with the removal, under the molding I found bubbling paint (possibly caused by me), scratches (most likely not cause by me), and a dent (defiantly not cause by me), which is why i want to get her re-painted one of these days.

I have since used a touch up pen on the scratches, it looks ok, but painting it would be better. I have also thrown around the idea of getting my lower panels rhino lines.

I then bought a set of Recon LED tail lights. Here is a newer picture of them

I then got busy for almost a year trying to get my house ready to sell, I had to do a complete gut on most of the house (kitchen, bathroom, new floors, doors, etc...) so that took all my mod time and money. Now that the house has sold I have a little more time and money to mod my truck.

I also bought a Tool box, which i have since sold. Here is the most recent picture of my entire truck

When i bought it it had chrome bed caps without holes, last weekend I replaced them with black diamond plate ones with holes

This weekend I painted my Grille Insert black. I think it looks a million times better

not bad, i would remove a few more things like mud flaps, and stuff but its getting there

yeah we will see. I have never liked the look of mud flaps, but here in Oregon the put cinder rock on the road instead of ice when there is snow and ice and they can do major damage to your paint. My SS was covered in little rock chips all over the rear quarter panel. I am going to be moving to the part of Oregon that does not get much snow so I may remove them, but i can always put them back on when I go on a trip over the passes.

We'll I removed the steps and the mud flaps. I'm gonna say it looks much better.
qybe7emu.jpg

When I was under the truck I noticed this. It's hard to see but one of my tailpipes is bent. I wonder how that happened? And I wonder how this may be effecting my power and MPGs?
9yde2a2u.jpg

Sure that pipe didn't come like that? If they aren't all mandrel bent, they will neck down in diameter on bends like that.

^What Chris said. Stock pipes usually neck down in certain spots for clearance/etc. Not saying it's not bent, but as long as it's not necked down real bad I doubt it's an issue. Truck looks really good though, taking the steps and flaps off made a huge difference!

Just curious cuz I was considering a 1500HD for while and nixed it cuz everything I found said the fuel mileage was terrible, but what do you get real world for fuel mileage?

A black lower valence and some cleared headlights would do wonders for it! But definitely looks great already.

Just curious cuz I was considering a 1500HD for while and nixed it cuz everything I found said the fuel mileage was terrible, but what do you get real world for fuel mileage?

I had an 01. Best I ever saw was 15.x. Average was 13-14ish.

Sure that pipe didn't come like that? If they aren't all mandrel bent, they will neck down in diameter on bends like that.

^What Chris said. Stock pipes usually neck down in certain spots for clearance/etc. Not saying it's not bent, but as long as it's not necked down real bad I doubt it's an issue. Truck looks really good though, taking the steps and flaps off made a huge difference!

Yeah i dont know if the pipes came like that or not. I just noticed them.

I get terrible MPGs. Even after the tune I get about 10-11 around town. I have never gone on more than a 100 mile highway trip in this truck in the year and a half since i bought it so I dont know what the highway MPGs would be. I know that when I mix a little highway and city I only get about 12.5. I am going to be driving my truck on a long road trip this weekend (Maybe) so we will see what kind of MPGs I get.

It sucks because i use to get 15 around town in my SS and around 17-18 on the highway. Of course my HD is heavier, but the SS had more power and was AWD. I use to get 16-17 in my 01 with the 5.3 and up to 21 on the highway.

A black lower valence and some cleared headlights would do wonders for it! But definitely looks great already.

Thanks. Yeah Im going to order me some clear headlights soon. I am also going to paint the lower valance soon, maybe this weekend if I have the time.

Lol yeah my 05 1500 got 12.5 not matter what I did once I put the level and 295 trail grapps on. The 3.42 gears is what killed it so bad tho

Sent from TapaTwat

My 04 wasn't much better than that, stock mixed was 15 all interstate was 17-18, leveling kit and 285s 13.5 all day everyday with 4.10s but that was untuned

I get 16 going 80 and 11 in the city on a 285/35/22 fwm bishes :cheeky:

Srsly I used to get what he said he got in his SS till I modded mine so much lol.

need to ditch the 4x4 stickers, and paint the flares, you are getting there though.

Painting the flares really is not in the cards right now. The 4X4 Stickers are going to come off soon. This labor day weekend, I plan on removing the 4X4's, painting the lower valance and doing a complete detail .