help me figure out my shock problem

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
so heres the situation, i got the qa1s off the truck and was taking some measurements.

Ride height measurements:
axle travel until bottom out- 1.75-2"
shock at ride height- about 15"
shock compressed 13.5"
shock extended 21"

yall think i need a different shock? i know if my shock is at 15" and compressed at 13.5, but theres only 2" of axle travel then my shock would bottom out first correct? or does the angle of the shock not make it work like that? i did find where they make head extensions 1" and 2", would that help possibly? this would make the shock 1-2" longer but still have a 7.5" stroke.

If the shock you are running is 13.5-21 and you are running it at 15 you need to get a shorter shock...shock extenders dont allow more travel they place the shock at a better angle.

i understand this, but then again, it doesnt matter if my shock is 10" collapsed if the truck bottoms out in the notch at a shock length of 14. with the axle only haveing no more then 2" of upward travel, i dont think the shock would be bottoming out before the truck does due to the fact the trucks going straight up and down and the shocks is at an angle. correct? also what i mentioned is and actual shock extender. you unscrew the eyelet of the shock off and then screw an extension on that, then the eyelet on the extension. basically if the shock is 21" long, with the extension it will be 23" long.

i understand this, but then again, it doesnt matter if my shock is 10" collapsed if the truck bottoms out in the notch at a shock length of 14. with the axle only haveing no more then 2" of upward travel, i dont think the shock would be bottoming out before the truck does due to the fact the trucks going straight up and down and the shocks is at an angle. correct? also what i mentioned is and actual shock extender. you unscrew the eyelet of the shock off and then screw an extension on that, then the eyelet on the extension. basically if the shock is 21" long, with the extension it will be 23" long.

Yes it won't bottom out but you're not running the shock in its designed optimum range...thats the reason that shocks come in all kinds of lengths and stroke range...you wont get the best ride from that shock by riding on the last two inches of stroke.

u think the shock would ride different when it was at the middle of its stroke 3.75, compared to 1.5" of stroke left? the shock has a noticeable consistancy in resistance through out its whole travel.

btw these are oil filled(i gues that what youd call them) not gas charged shocks.

Last edited:
Obviously you do not need 21" of extended stroke. I would go with a shock that was about 11"-12" compressed and then use your shock extenders if necessary. Having high quality shocks that aren't correct for the truck isn't going to give you much more quality, if any, than a lesser quality shock in the correct dimensions.

after looking at the QA1's, looks like a 11-17" or a 12.5-19.5" are the options you have. IMO, the 11-17" is the better option to me for a 15" ride height. I am interested in those shocks of yours, if you're interested in selling them

Last edited:
I'm going to feed off this thread...

I will be needing shocks here pretty soon. My BT's are for 2/4 and I am 2/5 and will be 3/6-4/8 soon. I need to get info on what shocks and lengths are optimum.