Important!: Lift question

brandon750

Mar 24, 2012
Ok so... Ya know how 1500 trucks come out with stock torsion keys... Well since my keys are rough country "leveling keys" then they arr suppose to be indexed diff to allow a better ride with more lift right? So that means at stock settings on rough country keys the truck will set higher than stock keys... So with that said. Does this mean that they will have to crank my keys to get proper cv angles on a zone 6" lift since the lift is setup for stock keys?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Ok so... Ya know how 1500 trucks come out with stock torsion keys... Well since my keys are rough country "leveling keys" then they arr suppose to be indexed diff to allow a better ride with more lift right? So that means at stock settings on rough country keys the truck will set higher than stock keys... So with that said. Does this mean that they will have to crank my keys to get proper cv angles on a zone 6" lift since the lift is setup for stock keys?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

You may have to crank or decrank to achieve the proper CV angles. Every truck is slightly different in that sense of finding the "sweet spot" of good cv angles. What is acceptable to some may be extreme for others. As close to flat as you can get them is ideal.

Leveling keys don't make the ride any better than stock btw, if you crank even stock keys the ride gets stiff because you are limiting the amount of suspension travel compared to stock height. A good set of shocks for your application will make the ride a lot better.

I have the leveling keys on my truck with the RCX kit, I have the keys barely cranked and am sitting a little cali. The leveling keys just allow you to turn the torsion bars further, in turn raising the front. When they put it on the key will probably be most of the way decranked and itll sit level if not cali.

yeah i understand any time that u crank you loose ur ride. i mean thats just the nature of it. guess what i should have said is .. will my truck sit higher than a normal truck with a 6" since it has the R/C keys that are indexed diff. than the stock keys. but yes it should i found out

...then they arr suppose to be indexed diff to allow a better ride with more lift right? ...

:bertstare:

NO.

Crank=keys=crank. PERIOD. The reindexed keys DO NOT help ride at all, they do nothing but allow you to crank farther than the stock keys. A set of keys and being cranked 2" would give you the EXACT same result, lift, and ride.

And yes, just as with a stock truck, when the lift is put on, the RC keys if adjusted the same as the stock keys will have you ~2" higher, so you would either need to install your stock keys or decrank the RC keys to get you where you want if you are too high.

more so what I was trying to say is that ... say u want to get 2" of crank and i use r/c keys and someone else uses stock keys i thought that they would have to crank more than me in order to get the same amount of lift..

:shrug: I dont know. just was not sure how diff my truck would sit with the lift with r/c keys as compared to stock keys.

feel like i cant completely explain myself over the internet.. oh well thanks for the input

more so what I was trying to say is that ... say u want to get 2" of crank and i use r/c keys and someone else uses stock keys i thought that they would have to crank more than me in order to get the same amount of lift..

:shrug: I dont know. just was not sure how diff my truck would sit with the lift with r/c keys as compared to stock keys.

feel like i cant completely explain myself over the internet.. oh well thanks for the input
That all depends on where you are starting from...If you had two identical trucks, one with RC keys, one with stock keys cranked to the same height, you both would have to crank the same amount to get the same additional height (any tbar sag is negligible in this case). The difference being, the stock keys would likely max out, whereas your reindexed keys could crank farther.

Stock keys/RC keys, doesn't matter, they will both sit the same if cranked to the same height. Adjust them, roll it back and forth and jump on the bumper to let it settle, see if you like the height, if not adjust some more till you get it right.