Looking for engine recommendation

bluevan

Apr 25, 2018
Found what appears to be a 1978 Sierra Grande pickup.
I was wondering what would be a good engine and suspension for it?

Im considering a crate engine.
Something reliable and has some grunt to it.

The 350 has crossed my mind... is there a better "all around" option?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on your goals. When I had my ‘70 C10 I planned to LS swap it with a 5.3 from the junkyard but that involves a new fuel system, new gauges, wiring, etc.

If you just want a nice cruiser with a fairly drop in motor, just get a crate 350 or a 383 with a carb. Both options, realistically, are similar in price if you do the work yourself but the LS is a lot more work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: bluevan
Depends on your goals. When I had my ‘70 C10 I planned to LS swap it with a 5.3 from the junkyard but that involves a new fuel system, new gauges, wiring, etc.

If you just want a nice cruiser with a fairly drop in motor, just get a crate 350 or a 383 with a carb. Both options, realistically, are similar in price if you do the work yourself but the LS is a lot more work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll disagree a little on a "lot more work". If he's buying a crate engine he can just buy a connect and cruise kit.

Even if he doesn't buy a connect and cruise kit he can still buy an LS crate engine, a stand alone harness from like BP Automotive or whatever and hook up a couple of wires and be testing in a weekend. The nuances are the drive shaft length and trans adapters.

I'll disagree a little on a "lot more work". If he's buying a crate engine he can just buy a connect and cruise kit.

Even if he doesn't buy a connect and cruise kit he can still buy an LS crate engine, a stand alone harness from like BP Automotive or whatever and hook up a couple of wires and be testing in a weekend. The nuances are the drive shaft length and trans adapters.
This is true, I was more talking about doing a junkyard conversion. And obviously "a lot" is all relative as well.

Reactions: barrrf
First off, what's your budget? That will help narrow down what would be the best fit for your application.

Well... budget depends, im working on a few other vehicle projects atm.
I want this truck to be a clean (not overly modded) daily driver with a little bit of grunt under the hood.

I could go $8000 give or take on the engine... I havent looked under the hood yet, I suspect it could already have a 350.

I prefer to keep it in the $3000-$5000 range if possible.

The big bucks are going to my other builds atm.

as its not going to be a daily driver or anything, you have a few options, first if there are any local dirt tracks, guys are always selling crate 602 or 604 motors, these motors are GM crates, made for a spec division and have around 370 to 20 hp at the crank. which is enough for most people. If you want more, then you can build a small block fairly cheap. most expensive part will be the heads.