Metal on metal clunk..cant figure it out

nickleahy23

Apr 16, 2012
Ive had this clunk for almost 2 years now..It happens when i accelerate, brake, and hit bumps in town, turn into a driveway etc..sometimes its a quiet clunk, sometimes its so loud people on the street look like wtf is that..the clunk started 2 summers ago. since then i have replaced the entire front end, control arms, rear set up, shocks etc. Ive had the trans crossmember out a few times as well so you can rule any of those things out. I thought it maybe slip yoke clunk, but ive greased it and no difference..I think im gonna try pulling the rear shaft and seeing if i still get the clunk..the only other thing i can think of is that my keys are almost fully decranked cuz to the 3" arms. I almost think thats what my problem is. It seems to be coming from midway under the truck on the pass side. Ive had the bars out since this clunk started and it hasnt changed, but ive been decranked the whole time. is there any kind of bushing on the T bar xmember? or should i try throwing in some drop keys and cranking it up so i actually have some tension on the bars..its basically sitting on the "Keys" that the bolts press on..any ideas would be great..thanks

No bushing for tbar crossmember IIRC, trans mount is a bushing maybe check it. Thats about the only bushing I can think of midway through the truck.

im thinking it has something to do with being almost completely decranked..the rear end is new..im gonna tighten everything and crank the keys a bit and go from there

What year is the truck?

My friends 06 ecsb Z71 makes a similar clunk. It does it when braking and accelerating. It has a 6" pro comp lift. I always thought it was a U-joint cuz i thought it was coming from the rear. He took it to a shop and it happened to be a ball joint that's popping when there's movement in the front end.

i thought it could be that as well, but I have new u joints all around, new ball joints in the front etc..it popped before and after the new balljoints

nick you bought the kit from me just hit me up I can walk you thru a few things to check out.