Shaved Tailgate with Tonneau Cover?

02z71 Sierra

Mar 27, 2012
Maryland / New York
I've been looking around and decided I would like to shave my tailgate handle. I think it looks really good:
2011276.jpg

The only problem is I have a soft roll up tonneau cover, that I really want to keep, that can only be opened after the tailgate has been opened. Could I get a door popper and hook that to the tailgate? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Wasn't necessarily thinking have it on a remote. Maybe some type of button/pull under the bumper or maybe in the cab?

You're screwed if you loose your keys anyway...

thought you were referring to a hard cover...so why not just buy a used roll n lock for $3-400, don't need to open tailgate. Or order an electric retractable cover.

More work that I would care to do, but then again, i could care less about shaved gates. Not all covers lock at the tailgate, so for the ones that dont, and if you lock it, and forget or lose the key to it, you won't be able to get in. kinda of like shaving driver key hole, not really worth the effect for something so small in detail.

If this is something you really want, then I would consider a better cover.

Yea man just get a electric popper and a $30 actuator to open. Same thing shaving doors and putting in electric actuators homie.

Yea man just get a electric popper and a $30 actuator to open. Same thing shaving doors and putting in electric actuators homie.

If you go this route, get one of those soft open kits with the shock on it so when you hit the button your gate doesn't slam open.