Smoke?

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
My 07 nnbs 4.8 just hit 68K miles. Floored it earlier to let the flowmaster rumble and noticed a decent amount of blue smoke behind me.

Im not a mechanic. What does this mean?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blue smoke means burning oil. I doubt your truck should be burning anything with so few miles. Maybe the PCV got stuck open and let too much oil through? Not sure how that system is done on the NNBS

I can't get it to do it again so idk. Its going next weekend for an oil change and see why the fuck my CEL is on.

It might have just been a fluke. I've noticed between my truck and my buddies 00 and 01, every once in a while we'll get smoke out the pipes on hard acceleration. But it doesn't happen every time. If it wasn't alot of smoke and doesn't happen but every once in a blue moon, I wouldn't worry about it

True. My dad said there was a little smoke and I figured maybe it was built up carbon but it was blue.

I beat the living shit out of this truck so I can't really say im not surprised. Just hoping for catastrophic failure before Warranty runs out instead of later and me having to pay out of pocket.

If u dont have cats and when u blew water thru the flow u broke up the fuel and oil build up... just drive the piss outta it for bout ten mins and your good...

I do have my cats still on but it rained like a mother fucking tsunami the night before. Maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows.

It's still factory tuned lol. My CEL is on so it may be an O2 sensor, might explain why I've been getting horrible gas mileage. Are they expensive?

It sat all weekend, cranked it up tonight and smelt something burning. Sure enough, blue smoke. Decent little cloud then stopped. Oil level is normal. WHAT THE FUCK.

What is this PCV thing? How do I check? Going tomorrow to AutoZone for my CEL.

Here's what I found about your PCV valve

"After removing the top plastic cover on the engine, (should be one 8mm bolt on top), the PCV valve is located on the driver's side valve cover near the firewall or the rear of the engine. It has a hard plastic hose attached to it that curves up to the top of the engine directly underneath the cover you removed first. The PCV valve is just simply pulled out and the new one pushed in."

Simply find it, pull it out and shake it. If it doesn't move, then it's stuck. Just go get a new one and pop it in. It's cheap enough, that'd be the first thing I tried.

Haha no problem buddy. I've gone round and round with my truck the last few months, I wouldn't shed a tear if somebody total'd her right now (as long as it's their fault of course lol)

Im in the same exact boat. Tired of the headaches with a 5 year old truck with 68,000 miles. Kinda ridiculous.

Had an 89 toyota with stock V6 and tranny and it had no problems when i sold it with 202,000 miles. And the interior was in better shape than my nnbs.

GM Quantity over Quality

Last edited:
That sounds about right. I'll never own any GM truck newer than 07 classic because of that fact. Next truck will be Ford or Dodge