Important!: Truck won't start!!!!!

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
Yes, I know, its a Toyota and this is a GM forum....blah blah blah.

But I need help.

Put a system in my 2000 Tacoma. Took the positive terminal off so I could hook my power wire on to it (ring terminal). Put everything back together. Everything works and subs sound amazing.....

But the bastard won't crank. Tried jumping it off. Nope. I turn the key and nothing happens. All my lights come on. System turns on. But it won't crank. When the key is turned, it doesn't make any sounds or anything. Just nothing.

I took both terminals off for 5 mins and still nothing.

Help plzzzzzzzz.

What Jose said, take the terminal off and see if it'll crank. Check all of your ignition fuses too.

i had this on my crv check the big fuse in fuse box like 65 amp i think its the fuse for the starter ? something might have still shorted it out off the positive maybe a tool slid across the positive on your battery while you where enjoying your subs ?

and make 100% sure your connections are tightened all the way and the battery cable wiring to the end that goes on your battery isn't corroded at all

Last edited:
Make sure all your wiring is correct. When my friend and I were putting in my double din, we had the same issue. Double din and system played, but truck would not crank. Then after re-checking all the wiring, we neglected one of the wires on the harness that needed to be tied in. Cranked right up.

To check this, plug in your factory unit if you still can and try to crank it. If it cranks, something is wrong with your wiring.

I'm an idiot.

When I first turned the truck on to check my radio and subs, the radio didn't cut on. So i freaked out and started checking fuses. Found a row of "spares" and took one and replaced my radio fuse. Well come to find out, I forgot you had to manually turn the radio on after power loss. So i got that problem squared away.

So after the truck wouldnt crank, i went through every fuse, checking to make sure they were all good. Found the "old" radio fuse that I had taken out on the carpet. Decided it was still good so I plugged it back into the "spare" slot (its labeled). Then it cranked.

Although I did find it odd that the slot labeled "spare" had metal tabs in it like it went to something. But it was clearly labeled "spare". I'm not making this up lol.

Apparently you have to have an arsenal of spares plugged in for the truck to crank.

I've installed probably 20 systems and this has been the biggest pain in the ass.

I guess I'm so used to doing things in GM vehicles. I think the devil himself designed the tabs for the dash trim in this truck. Took maybe 13 minutes to take the dash apart and put new radio in. Almost 3 hours getting the dash back together. Like a fucking game of Jenga.