What to look for in a used Duramax?

07sierraclassic

Mar 11, 2012
Buckley, WA
I'm seriously contemplating trading my truck in, it's an 07 classic 1500 SLT. Waiting to get it back from shop that's installing LQ9 then fixing some minor things and looking to trade in on a Duramax. I don't know a whole lot about these specifically but they seem to hold their value really well. Most trucks in my price range are either near the 100k mark or just passed it. I've heard ppl say that diesels are just getting "broken in" at 100k but paying 27-30k on a used truck almost seems like a gamble. I know the older ones had injector issues, anything else though? How bout the trans? Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an LBZ if you can. That is 06-07 classic with the 6 speed trans. LB7 had bad injector issues that were a mother to fix because you have to pull the heads to replace.

Sure, "they are just braking in at 100k" but remember they still have that much miles on the drive terrain.

Get an LBZ if you can. That is 06-07 classic with the 6 speed trans. LB7 had bad injector issues that were a mother to fix because you have to pull the heads to replace.

Sure, "they are just braking in at 100k" but remember they still have that much miles on the drive terrain.

Most of the trucks I've seen are the 06-07 classics, both GMC and chevy. I have my eye on a 2007 NNBS CCSB z71 with 55k for 30 but very rare to find a deal like that

If you go lb7 see if the injectors where recently done if not take 3-4k off the price ...I have a lbz I have no complaints the 6 speed tranny also holds a bit more power then a 5 speed in the lly and lb7 ....your best bet is to find anyone of them that has been well taken care of with low mileage and none that have already been done up and beat unless your getting an amazing deal and can afford to build a 5-10k tranny and any other issued a beat truck will throw at you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's just it I don't want to buy a truck that's chipped. I would be extremely happy with intake and exhaust. DNW to have to build Allison

they can be chipped as long as they didnt limp the shit out of the trans.

06-07 classic LBZ is where its at.

what are you going to do ask the previous owner if its been limped and just take his word on it ......or quickly drop the tranny and take it apart too see it its fucked.....id go on the safe side of 7k and say find one without a chip or tune IMO

what are you going to do ask the previous owner if its been limped and just take his word on it ......or quickly drop the tranny and take it apart too see it its fucked.....id go on the safe side of 7k and say find one without a chip or tune IMO

^^^^ this

a built tranny is a must in a Duramax, especially in 5speeds. Stay away from then and get a 6spd.

what are your plans for the truck after you buy one ?
race truck ?
daily driver ?
high hp daily ?
tow vehicle ?

what are your plans for the truck after you buy one ?
race truck ?
daily driver ?
high hp daily ?
tow vehicle ?

I'd like to have a durable daily driver that I can use to tow the boat on long trips often, essentially. Plus the diesels can get great mileage compared to the gasser. I'm not looking to make big power, more interested in the durability of the drivetrain.