What would you do? Blew another rear end

nickleahy23

Apr 16, 2012
So i broke an axle shaft tonight not even beating on the truck..This is the second rear end ive broke in less than 2 years..first was without a g80 and this one had one, but only had 20k on it..i gave it gas and it was game over...i can throw a 14 bolt under it, but that means i have to weld on all of the brackets and hopefully its the same width as mine, plus lose rear discs...im not that hard on the truck, but at 6200 lbs with the rims, and a built trans, it shifts hard and im sick of blowing shit up...any ideas? im about to put a cam in it, so i need something to hold up to the power..if it was just the g80 blowing up, id throw a tru trac in, but it broke the axle shaft out by the caliper...

being a coil sprung rear, your options are kinda limited, but check Randy's ring & pinion and see if they've got the Yukon chromoly axle shafts for it, at this point, I'd rebuild the whole thing, gears, locker, axleshafts, good u-joints

or rebuild it with Moser shafts, either way, but I bet the Yukons are gonna be a better value

Well im 99% sure it was just the g80 that blew up after checking it out..I have a few options..I can scoop a used rear for $450 and throw it in and be on my way..or I got a hook on some used 3.73s and a tru trac for $250 and i can get them installed for around $400..id need to pay shipping and get a master install kit so id probably be around $750 all said and done..

Your not making enough power to have changed the line pressure in the first place! Thats your problem poor tune and rough driving... there are trucks making 800+ with zero line pressure adjustments thats where 99/100 tuners fuk up!

And your gross vehicle weight isnt your true weight. Your 5500 at the most... look up curb weight or go to a cat scale...

Curb Weight: 4847.00 that's curb weight or 02-06 lt tahoe

Last edited:
its a blackbear tune..nothing wrong with it..the trans is fully built with billet parts and is set on medium for the shift kit along with a 3k converter..it doesnt shift that hard.The 2 times ive blown the rear up, it wasnt even above 3k rpms in first gear, so the shifting has nothing to do with it..it is tuned for the built trans, which actually lowers the line pressure since the trans shifts harder than stock. With my wheels and subs, im at 6150 for weight on a cat scale..i baby the shit out of the truck 90% of the time, but i didnt swap a 6.0 and a built trans in to drive like a grandma..the g80 blows up in stock trucks that weight 1500 lbs less, and have much less weight over the rear axle than the tahoe. Its nothing that I do specifically, its just the weak link in the drivetrain..They make more parts everyday, just depends on what I want do to with it

Last edited:
ya thats what im thinkin..plus that saves me time from having to go pick one up, pull mine out etc..as long as nothing is screwed up inside the case, which it doesnt look like it is

Got my stuff in yesterday..getting installed next Wed and then the truck is gonna have a few exterior changes..hopefully be all done by the 4th of july

got an eaton trutrac going in so i should be good to go..that would be sick if they had a 14bolt already set up for links and coils

didnt really miss driving it lol..60 bucks in the last month driving the grand am to work and back..40 in the truck in 5 days going nowhere

So i broke an axle shaft tonight not even beating on the truck..This is the second rear end ive broke in less than 2 years..first was without a g80 and this one had one, but only had 20k on it..i gave it gas and it was game over...i can throw a 14 bolt under it, but that means i have to weld on all of the brackets and hopefully its the same width as mine, plus lose rear discs...im not that hard on the truck, but at 6200 lbs with the rims, and a built trans, it shifts hard and im sick of blowing shit up...any ideas? im about to put a cam in it, so i need something to hold up to the power..if it was just the g80 blowing up, id throw a tru trac in, but it broke the axle shaft out by the caliper...

I also had a problem with my axle shaft. And I was told to have it replaced because it couldn't be fixed anymore. I tried to look for auto shops nearby but failed to see the one that is cheaper. So I tried to go online and search for stores and price listings and found one nearer. I also came upon some sites that are helpful like car-sfuff, carparts, jcwhitney. They had sorting for product searches that made it easy for me.

Last edited: