where is the mcgaughys spindle mod?

i know steering in the ext sucked. and thats why i wanna do it before i put it on. i dont feel like having to tear the shit back down. plus getting shti powdered. dont wanna grind powder back off lol

You'll need to install them to see where it hits. How much metal you need to remove depends on how low you are iirc.

You pretty much lose the whole purpose of having 4wd on a truck if you lower it, IMO. to each their own though

Last edited:
lol...4x4 still works when lowered...you don't lose the transfercase...not everyone looks for "mudholes"

Thank you, it seems like nobody ever understands that..even if my truck was lifted/leveled it would never see mud

lol yea i know. If you had all time 4wd like the ss's had thats one thing but as far as functionality it kinda goes out the window imo. I mean ya dont really go anywhere that might even need 4wd in a lowered truck.. Unless your like the type that buys 4wd just to have the Z71 sticker on it and the tires NEVER leave concrete lol...

I bought the truck for the truck, not because it was 4wd..it had low miles and was fully optioned and in my price range, I had no intentions on lowering it but decided I wanted to since I had no interest in lifting..eventually it will have a built motor and ill use the 4wd for launches at the truck

No problem with that... What about the added weight of the 4wd components? Even with the 4w takeoff will it be a hinderance compared to the 2wd??

sure, the weight will take away from et's compared to the same truck in 2wd form, but 4wd launches can be fun from what I hear

I wish Spanky was here...

There's definitely a weight difference but I'm not building a race truck so I'm not too worried lol I have a buddy from texarkana that has a rcsb 4wd that he built an lq9 for..it was running high 12s on the motor, after the turbo it was running low 11s before he tore it down

Isnt there some negative issues that pop up if you cut the steering stops off of the LCA? My radius isnt unbearable so far with my 16+ mcgs, but Im still interested in this mod later down the road.

Ill pull mine off and take pics eventually. Quite a few did this on 17+ you just won't need to go so high w clearancing

I'm 2wd. But I did have them at one point and hated them. Too much bump steer and never aligned right. I think cause I didn't have the upper UCA's as well to go along with them.

Sent from Tapawhore

Yea from what I've read you have to run the uppers and lowers for everything to be perfect iirc, I think that's why most people don't do them cuz its so much more expensive