Which mud tire

1990K1500

Sep 10, 2013
Hey guys/gals.

I have a '90 Chevy k1500 6" suspension, 2.5" body lift. I currently have a set of 36x14.50x16 swamper TSL's basically new, on M/T beadlocks, got them for $800. I planned on running those in the spring/summer/fall, and I have a set of 315/75/16(35x12.50's) Goodyear Wrangler Duratraks on 16x10 M/T steelies(for the winter) I was just wondering if I should stick with the TSL's for my mud tire? I ask this because I don't want to be plagued by awful wear on the highway when I go on the highway with the TSL's. I rarely do highway driving, but when I do, it's up to my camp/friends college which is about 2 hours away. I know the TSL's are going to be absolutely obnoxious on the highway, and it doesn't bother me, road noise isn't an issue. BUT I guess my real question is, will they last? and be reliable when I take them on the highway?

I don't do much street driving, I maybe drive.. 9-12k a year, and most of it is in the winter. I mud frequently when it's the season, and end up the "go to puller" when the others get stuck. I spent all last year with the Duratraks. They did very well for what they are, and I wish they made them in a bigger size, but they don't.

I don't want them to blow out or something half way up because they're not suppose to do 65-80 MPH for a consistent amount of time.

If you guys have a better suggestion for tire, I'm sure I can flip them for much more then I paid for them. I'm happy to answer any and all questions you might have,

Thanks!

9-12K a year is average, and it sounds like you have an ideal setup. Are the TSL's radials?

Love my Goodyear MT/Rs do decent is light snow and a beasts in deep snow haven't had them in any nasty mud tho

Yeah, I've heard good things about MT/R's. I just don't want to get too use to swampers and then have them wear out and have to buy a new set.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'll see how they do, if they're all they're cracked up to be I won't mid getting another set.

I had Nitto Trail Grapps on my Z. Did really good both off road and on road. Put 35k miles on em (bought em from a buddy at half tread) and they were still like 1/4 tread or more.

Never went in any really soupy stuff but they did awesome in our red clay mud/sandy stuff we had in south ga. Never did get stuck in 2 years

Sent from Tapatwat