window switch problem?

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Alright so this isn't the first time this has happened, but my passenger window works off and on, and im thinking its the driver side control switch

first time i realized it wasn't responding is when i had it down and i tried rolling it up with the driver side controls and it wouldn't move, i tried using the passenger controls.....still didn't move, so i pulled the control module up and checked connections on both sides and they were fully connected. Tried moving the wires a bit and pushing the window button but again nothing.
So i left it alone for a bit went inside the house and came back out later and it worked fine.

Just yesterday i had to take my dad to work, scrapped the frost off my windshield and rolled down both windows a bit so i could see while pulling out of our neighborhood.
Window rolled down and up perfectly fine. So i get back home lock everything up and go in the house, then when i go out to leave to go pick him up i tried rolling it down, only the driver window would roll down.
Passenger window wouldn't go down with driver switch or passenger switch. i end up just driving with the driver window down all the way there and back, while driving every now and then id try to roll the passenger window down and it wouldn't budge.
tried pulling off the control modules and still wouldn't work.
so i go out today and the sum bitch works, rolls up and down.

idk if its the switch or a short or something that is causing it, wouldn't think its the motor bc it doesn't slow the roll-up or roll down.

In my past vehicles when the driver door control switches are unplugged the passenger ones don't work (dunno if its a security thing or what its just always been like that) but when the driver door switches are plugged in both sides work.

(driver door lock and window switch work fine when the passenger window wont roll down, passenger door lock control works fine as well when the passenger window wont respond.)

any ideas what could be the problem?

Most likely a bad switch. You can try to "repair" it by taking the switch apart and see if you can get to the contacts to clean then and file them down a bit if they are arced (burnt) up pretty bad. I did that to my inlaws 99 Silvy twice now in the past 4 years when the switch quit working. Dealer wanted $160 for a new switch. FTS.

Most likely a bad switch. You can try to "repair" it by taking the switch apart and see if you can get to the contacts to clean then and file them down a bit if they are arced (burnt) up pretty bad. I did that to my inlaws 99 Silvy twice now in the past 4 years when the switch quit working. Dealer wanted $160 for a new switch. FTS.

awesome well not really but the switch on rockauto is only 50 bucks so i may just snag it up and swap it out and fix it bc i also gotta replace the damn mirror switch bc i cant move the driver or passenger mirror left, itll move up down or right just not left.....

used a test light on the driver side switch and its getting power going up and down gonna try the passenger switch as well if its not the switch its possibly the motor im thinking.

well i gotta try and take apart all the door components to get to it to check it out so hopefully i can get to it soon, just frustrating that it works one day then the next it doesnt or it works for an hr then gets stuck down or up