bagging options and input

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Ok, with all the threads with so much differing info and opinions, I want a thread of my own for my needs.

I want to bag this truck, I've wanted to for a while, and it looks like things are getting closer to this happening.

I know what I do want:
No camber up front, can't stand the look

I will add to this as I figure other things out

My main question is, what setup up front, and rear? I won't be running anything than my oem 20's for now with the 275/45. In the future, maybe 22's. I know for a fact I won't ever runs 26's and 24's are doubtful as most look like shit other than billets in my eyes.

I want it set up for more of a DD type build than a "show truck" type.

you'll need some sort of neg camber when aired out. But the most basic setups would be kp 6link in the rear and drop spindles/cups in the front unless you want to go with custom arms like MMW or ekmw kits or something like that. But those require a lot of modding and you won't be able to return it back to stock. You could try ART arms or MMW budget arms. I don't know a thing about either of them though so I'm sure brett will chime in about them.

Uppers flipped
Cups
Dom bags
Mcg 16+
Bretts heim kit

Not sure what kinda work you planning on out back.The kp is pricey but nice.
Nufamus 3 link is pretty nice,KP will ride a little better.Ive rode in both.

Art arms and budget MMW isnt worth the money just my .02

You want accuair IMO,viair dual 480s shall suite you well
5-6 gallons of air is plenty.

If you go with a smc setup dont use 1/2,i couldnt see you bounching that big ginger head in your CC lol

If i were to do it all over again in the rear, I would start with:
- Weld-on three link - the KP is awesome, and can be easily bolted on, BUT it is very expensive especially with the watts (even though i got mine used), the axle sits slightly offset in the wheel well at certain ride heights even with the correct dogbones, and in my opinion it does ride soft (QA1s helped this greatly though). Im happy with the Firestone 2600s in the rear actually, but have nothing else to compare them to.
- An 8gal tank - 5 can be a bit too little at times, one air up from pancake and your compressors are probably turning on. 8 gal will fit easily underbed and is the perfect amount of air IMO.
- Get accuair with the VU4, eLevel is a nice bonus
- Stinger relay, with a breaker instead of a fuse for the comps
- While the bed is off and before you start really getting busy, strip off the undercoating and paint the frame - this is the biggest thing I regret not doing, cleans it up nicely and makes it look so much more professional (swapping to disc brakes help this as well).
- Raise your bedfloor or make a notch cover from a donor bed floor

This is just the stuff I would do differently, you are pretty familiar with my setup otherwise and have a basic knowledge of the metalwork that needs to be done before you start slappin on parts. I wouldnt run cups/stock arms up front - rides ok, handles ok, but there are plenty of parts out there that do it better - none of which I am familiar enough with to recommend.

Also dont take 4 years to do it pls :crazy:

Thanks guys. Brandon, I have disc brakes.

I don't want budget in terms of regretting it and it riding shitty. I'm tired of shitty suspension. I don't need super duper bad ass...but I want it done right the first time.

I have the spindles. Brett will be making his parts for me no doubt.

The hard part is what arms, bags, and rear setup really.

Mine is an 06 and I have drums, never seen a 1500 crew with disc stock though.

took away my opinion of having it to daily drive. it just seemed to be more of a pain to drive, and i felt it handled worse.

for me i couldnt just hop in it and drive it anymore. depending on how i parked it, sometimes i would need to let the air pressure in the tank build up, before i could get it off the ground. it just wasnt practical anymore.

it is the next thing on my build list though, since i finished the quad i will redo the whole thing to a better setup.

But, the air seems more like an issue of lacking parts. Bigger tank, better compressors with a better duty cycle?

Handle worse? Worse than stock, worse than just dropped? Mine has bad bumpsteer, rides like a tank still. I'm kinda to the point of sell/trade or bag.

i never drove mine stock, i only drove mine lowered.

i have 2 5 gallon tanks and 2 viair 480 compressors, but the tank has a small leak so over night it will loose PSI

I mean if i park it, at ride height i can drive it away in the morning without issues,

one thing you have over me is your winters are mild vs mine.

I am a fan of Ekstensives kits. Complete kits with everything you will need. Great customer service after the sale.
https://www.ekstensive.com/store/pr...ucts_id=346&osCsid=ld99kegbo9ot1n251n59j59r27

NO NO NO NO NO. you do not buy a "bag kit" for $1700 bucks and expect realiability for daily use. also 4 valve setup is stupid and then 1/2" is stupid. so 4 valve setup that is 1/2" valves is fucking stupid.

Jared, I just quoted Ricardo on the same vehicle. here's what I quoted and this is with full front tubs, rear tubs, small firewall tubs, and notch cover to lay flat on 30" tires.

To do your truck and clearance for everything. It would be about $1000 labor.
then the parts will go as follows:
Accuair Switchspeed controller and pressure switch-$400
Rear link setup-$400
4 bags-$225
8 3/8" valves-$300
5 gallon tank-$150
dual Viair 480c's-$400
Fittings and airline(Hydraulic hose)-$350
Sheetmetal tubs and firewall sheetmetal-$500
front bag mounts and shock mounts-$150
Front and rear shocks-$100
Heim Kit-$125
Mcg 16" spindles-$300
Tubing and materials-$300

All together to do it with all the parts I would want, it would be ~$4700.

so you take away my $1000 dollars labor and thats a pretty good estimate of what a good reliable setup parts would run you. of course, there are multiple upgrades you can make.

I will say this going off what was said above:
-you will need a camber curve or you will loose traction when turning
-rule of thumb with viair compressors are one 480c for every 3 gallons of tank. other option will be to run Air Zeniths if you want the 8 gallon tank
-5 gallons of air is plenty for someone who doesn't play with their truck. I only run one 5 gallon tank
-no need for control arms on trucks unless you get bigger than 29" tires.

This thread has already become a thread of differing opinions lol. For instance, I'm my own opinion I dislike a d will probably never run a 3 link wishbone. I would recommend cups if there's even the slightest chance you'll ever go stock again. And if you aren't gonna run anything bigger than 20's or even 22's then you get to keep your bed just the way it is.

NO NO NO NO NO. you do not buy a "bag kit" for $1700 bucks and expect realiability for daily use. also 4 valve setup is stupid and then 1/2" is stupid. so 4 valve setup that is 1/2" valves is fucking stupid.

Jared, I just quoted Ricardo on the same vehicle. here's what I quoted and this is with full front tubs, rear tubs, small firewall tubs, and notch cover to lay flat on 30" tires.

To do your truck and clearance for everything. It would be about $1000 labor.
then the parts will go as follows:
Accuair Switchspeed controller and pressure switch-$400
Rear link setup-$400
4 bags-$225
8 3/8" valves-$300
5 gallon tank-$150
dual Viair 480c's-$400
Fittings and airline(Hydraulic hose)-$350
Sheetmetal tubs and firewall sheetmetal-$500
front bag mounts and shock mounts-$150
Front and rear shocks-$100
Heim Kit-$125
Mcg 16" spindles-$300
Tubing and materials-$300

All together to do it with all the parts I would want, it would be ~$4700.

so you take away my $1000 dollars labor and thats a pretty good estimate of what a good reliable setup parts would run you. of course, there are multiple upgrades you can make.

I will say this going off what was said above:
-you will need a camber curve or you will loose traction when turning
-rule of thumb with viair compressors are one 480c for every 3 gallons of tank. other option will be to run Air Zeniths if you want the 8 gallon tank
-5 gallons of air is plenty for someone who doesn't play with their truck. I only run one 5 gallon tank
-no need for control arms on trucks unless you get bigger than 29" tires.

thanks, this will come in handy